Take the SCAD Challenge
Your unique artistic vision could earn you a scholarship to SCAD, The University for Creative Careers.
The SCAD Challenge competition series gives you the opportunity to showcase your talents. Entries must demonstrate creativity, innovation and a strong understanding of aesthetics. Let your design speak to your skill level and ability to handle university-level design assignments.
Challenges are open to current juniors and seniors in high school as of the 2016-17 academic year. A panel of SCAD faculty will review and evaluate your submitted entry, and three winners will be selected from each category.
- 2-D design
- 3-D design
- Comic book
- 2-D design
How to enter
Complete an application. Online applications must be submitted by 5 p.m. ET, Feb. 3, 2017.
Senior entrants must complete an undergraduate application to SCAD. Complete the undergraduate application.
Students who have already completed the undergraduate application should submit their work in the SCAD Senior Challenge categories in SlideRoom. Scroll down in SlideRoom and review all of the Senior Challenge guidelines. Applicants may submit work to a category outside of their primary major of interest. Applicants may enter work into multiple categories.
Junior entrants must complete an application to attend SCAD Rising Star — a fully immersive pre-college summer program available at SCAD. Complete the SCAD Rising Star application.
Students who have already applied to Rising Star should submit their work in the SCAD Junior Challenge categories in SlideRoom. Scroll down in SlideRoom and review all of the Junior Challenge guidelines. Applicants may submit work to a category outside of their primary major of interest. Applicants may enter work into multiple categories.
- Keep in mind that you can apply to SCAD with interest in a particular program but still submit a portfolio to be considered in one or more unrelated SCAD Challenge competitions. For example, even if you're interested in majoring in interior design as an undergraduate student at SCAD, you can still submit a portfolio in photography and enter that SCAD Challenge competition.
Submit your work. Artwork must be submitted by 5 p.m. ET, Feb. 3, 2017.
- Your entry should show work in one or more of the SCAD Challenge categories listed above.
- To see submission guidelines and enter your work, log on to the SCAD SlideRoom portfolio manager.
- From the directory of portfolio categories, scroll toward the bottom of the page and select the SCAD Challenge category that matches the competition you wish to enter (for example: "SCAD Challenge: Comic book"). Juniors who wish to participate must select either the "SCAD Challenge: Junior 2-D design" category or the "SCAD Challenge: Junior Photography" category.
- Complete the form as directed, upload your materials and submit.
SCAD Senior and Junior Challenges are only available to students who have completed an admission application prior to Dec. 15, 2016. For students who have completed an admission application prior to Dec. 15, please submit your SCAD Challenge artwork by 5 p.m. ET, Feb. 3, 2017, via SlideRoom.
Winners will be announced on March 3, 2017.
What you can win
Senior challenge awards
Three winners from each senior challenge will receive a scholarship upon admission to the university. Scholarships are renewable each year until completion of a bachelor's degree as long as the recipient maintains a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0.
First place — platinum award
US$7,000 SCAD Challenge scholarship
Second place — gold award
US$5,000 SCAD Challenge scholarship
Third place — silver award
US$2,500 SCAD Challenge scholarship
Junior challenge awards
Three winners from each junior challenge will receive a scholarship to attend the SCAD Rising Star summer program for high school students.
First place — junior platinum award
US$1,200 artistic scholarship
Second place — junior gold award
US$750 artistic scholarship
Third place — junior silver award
US$350 artistic scholarship
SCAD reserves the right to use images or stills from the submitted work in promotional material.