How to apply for financial aid
In order to receive financial aid, students must first apply and be accepted to SCAD. Submit your application
- Keep in mind that you can apply to SCAD with interest in a particular program but still submit a portfolio to be considered in one or more unrelated SCAD Challenge categories. For example, even if you're interested in majoring in interior design at SCAD, you can still submit a portfolio in the photography category in the SCAD Challenge competition.
Complete and submit your FAFSA
Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online and include SCAD as one of your school choices.
- SCAD Federal School Code: 015022
- Accurate income tax information should be used from two years prior. The FAFSA can be completed as early as Oct. 1, and early application is encouraged.
- Students who intend to use financial assistance to pay tuition, room and board should complete the FAFSA at least 60 days prior to their intended entry date.
Review your SAR report
Within three to five days after filing the FAFSA online, students should receive a Student Aid Report, or SAR. When you receive your SAR, review it carefully to make sure it’s correct and complete. SCAD will use the information to determine your eligibility for financial aid.
- Be sure to respond promptly to any request for additional information from the SCAD financial aid office to avoid any delays.
- If selected for verification, students may be required to submit documentation in the form of an IRS tax return transcript from two years prior.
- More information on this is available online
Award of financial assistance
After all information has been received and processed, an official award of financial assistance is sent via SCAD email. The award lists all financial assistance the student is eligible to receive, including scholarships, grants and loans. For some types of aid, there may be additional steps required. Students should continue to check their student email account for any requirements requested by the SCAD financial aid office.
If your financial assistance package includes Federal Direct Loans and/or Direct PLUS Loans you wish to accept, carefully follow the instructions to complete the requirements and receive your loan.
Financial aid timeline
The financial aid timeline notes important deadlines and acts as a step-by-step guide throughout the process.
Disbursement of financial aid
Disbursement of financial aid funds begins following the drop/add period each quarter.
Budget planning guide
This budget planning guide provides more information on the types of expenses you can expect.
If a student is selected for verification, the financial aid office is required to verify information listed on the FAFSA.
Concurrent enrollment and transient fees
A student who wishes to be degree-seeking at two or more postsecondary institutions concurrently may receive federal/state financial aid at only one college.