Health care for international students

Health care in the United States is largely a private industry. In contrast to the governments of many other countries, the U.S. government does not provide free, universal medical coverage to its citizens. Thus, medical care in the United States is very expensive; a short stay in the hospital can cost thousands of dollars, while a simple visit to the doctor's office can cost hundreds. In order to protect students from the potential financial impacts of health issues, SCAD requires all international students (F-1 visas) to maintain adequate health insurance coverage for the entire academic year.

All international students must enroll in the SCAD international student health insurance plan. Cost for this medical coverage is automatic and has been added to your student account. Exemptions from participation are only granted for F-1 students who are already covered under certain government or embassy sponsored plans. There is also an exception for certain dependents of employees who have coverage through a U.S. employer.

IMPORTANT:  Alternate policies issued by any agency or affiliate other than a government/embassy sponsored plan or a U.S. employer will not be considered for alternate insurance waiver consideration.

If your alternate insurance policy is a government or embassy sponsored plan, you may apply for an exemption by filling out the alternate insurance waiver form.  Alternate policies must be pre-approved, be equal or better than the coverage provided by the SCAD policy and must be maintained throughout your enrollment at SCAD.  Students who are exempt from enrolling in the SCAD insurance plan may be asked to complete a waiver on an annual basis.  Alternate insurance waivers will not be granted after 5:30 p.m. on the second Friday of classes each quarter.

F-2 dependent insurance information
F-1 students on the SCAD international insurance policy may add spouses or children accompanying them to the U.S. to their insurance policy. Please note that F-1 students must apply and pay for coverage directly with the health insurance company, United Health Care Student Services, to add dependents to their policy. SCAD cannot bill F-1 students for dependent health insurance. All paperwork and payments must be completed within 30 days of your dependent spouse or child arriving in the U.S. This process also applies to F-1 students whose children are born in the U.S. during their time of study at SCAD while they are covered under the mandatory SCAD insurance. F-1 students may contact United Health Care Student Services for the appropriate paperwork that needs to be completed.

Rates and policy information
The 2017-2018 insurance rates and policy information are provided by:

United Health Care Student Services
P.O. Box 809025
Dallas, Texas 75380-9025

Phone: 866.948.8472

Insured by Arthur J. Gallagher and Co.