Formerly the Downtowner Motor Inn, Oglethorpe House is now a residence hall for approximately 400 transfer, graduate and upperclassman students.
Completed in 1964, the building brought mid-century aesthetic to downtown Savannah with its mélange of suburban and urban hotel design. The external staircases and balcony corridors, enlivened with ornate ironwork, dramatized a sense of movement. Originally described as having "204 ultra-modern rooms or suites designed to give the utmost comfort and luxury," the building was converted into a SCAD residence hall in 1990.
Today, its coeducational, double-occupancy rooms include air conditioning, a bathroom, extra-long twin-size beds that can be bunked, a cable television outlet, a drafting table, a stool, a dresser/chest of drawers and wireless internet access for each resident.
Oglethorpe House is ADA accessible and features elevator service, pay laundry machines, drink and snack vending machines, and a dining hall. Limited parking is available on-site. A meal plan is required.
- Six-story building
- Occupancy: approximately 400
- Double occupancy
- Air conditioning
- Private bath in each room
- Extra-long, twin-size beds (36" x 80"); beds can be bunked
- Drafting table and stool for each resident
- Dresser/chest of drawers for each resident
- Cable television service
- Wireless Internet access for each resident
- Elevator service
- SCAD Card- or coin-operated laundry
- Drink and snack vending machines
- ADA accessibility
- Limited parking available on site
- On-site fitness center
- On-site dining hall
- US$9,674/year* for the 2020-21 academic year
- Meal plan required
* A nonrefundable and nontransferable housing reservation fee of US$500 is deducted from the overall housing fee. Enrolled students who cancel after June 1 are subject to an additional US$500 nonrefundable cancellation fee.