Formerly the Peters House, the noted architect Gottfried L. Norrman designed the Queen Anne-Victorian style Ivy Hall in 1883. The National Register of Historic Places listed it in 1972, and it now serves as a hub for distinguished visiting scholars-in-residence, lectures, the Ivy Hall Writers Series and literary salons for SCAD Atlanta. SCAD received the donated building in 2007 and extensively rehabilitated it before its opening in Fall 2008. The rehabilitation process was featured in a five-part documentary series by the Public Broadcasting Atlanta television station titled "The Art of Restoration."
Since then, SCAD and Ivy Hall have received various awards including an American Institute of Architects Georgia Honor Award, the Shutze Award for craftsmanship and the Georgia Trust 2009 Preservation Award for Excellence.