David Allan Duncan
Sequential art professor
- M.F.A., art, University of Arizona
- B.F.A., art, University of Montevallo
Professor of sequential art, sequential art department, Sept. 2005–present
Graduate coordinator, sequential art, Fall 2006–Summer 2017
Chair, sequential art department, Summer 2008–Fall 2010
Assessment coordinator, sequential art, Summer 2006–Summer 2008, Savannah College of Art and Design, Savannah, GA
Teacher of record, foundations, school of art, 2003–2005
Coordinator, distinguished lecture series, visual communications department, Summer 2004–Summer 2005, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ
- Daily comic, Gobnobble, Spring 2004–Spring 2005, Daily Wildcat
- Founder and coordinator, 2003–2004, Jolly Roger Mail Art Troop
Awards, recognitions, and honors
- Practicum/internship, Billy Ireland Cartoon Library & Museum, Summer 2014
- Faculty sabbatical, Savannah College of Art and Design, Winter 2013
- Presidential fellowship, Savannah College of Art and Design, Winter 2007
- Medici scholarship, School of Art, University of Arizona, Summer 2004
- Special honors, Art Walk, Montgomery Museum of Art, Spring 2002
- Excellence in drawing, School of Art, University of Montevallo, 2000 and 2001
- Visual Arts award, Alabama School of Fine Arts, Spring 1998
- Reuben Award Screening Committee, Online Comics Division, National Cartoonists Society, January 2012–present
Publications and presentations
Papers and presentations
- "Boulet’s Light: Glow of Digital Media as a Tool for Sense-Memory in French Webcomics." Paper presented at The Popular Culture Association in the South, 2017 Conference, Savannah, Ga., Oct. 2017.
- "A Small Creature in a Big Lagoon: Joey Weiser’s Mermin from Mini-Comics to Graphic Novels." Paper presented at The Popular Culture Association in the South, 2017 Conference, Savannah, Ga., Oct. 2017.
- Panel Moderator: Institutions, Cannon Fodder! A CXC Scholarly Symposium Cartoon Crossroads Columbus, Jean and Charles Schulz Lecture Hall, Billy Ireland Cartoon Library & Museum, Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, Oct. 2016.
- Panel Moderator: Comics Form, Comics History, International Comics Art Forum, University of South Carolina, Columbia, S.C., April 2016.
- "Daumier’s Deadline: Expedited Expressiveness and the Franco-Belgian Cartooning Tradition." Presented at International Comics Art Forum, Billy Ireland Cartoon Library & Museum, Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, Nov. 2014.
- Panel Respondent: Subtractions/Erasures, Fifth Biennial Art History Symposium 2014: Palimpsest, SCAD Museum of Art, Savannah, Ga., Feb. 2014.
- "A BD Field Trip: Young Comic Artists Travel to France." Presented at International French-Language Comics Conference, Miami University, Miami, Ohio, Nov. 2012.
- "Interdisciplinary Models: Comics in the Curriculum." Presented at SECAC, Savannah College of Art and Design, Savannah, Ga., Nov. 2011
- "A New Comics Pupil: A Smaller World, a Larger Potential." Presented at International Comics Art Forum, Center for Cartoon Studies, Vt., Oct. 2011.
- "Training Young Cartoonists Despite Industry Uncertainly." Presented at Comics Studies Conference, C2E2, Chicago, Oct. 2010.
- Duncan, David, and Wagner, Stephen. "The Classical Side of Post-Modern Architecture: Jacksonville, FL Public Library," Summer 2017 Sequentials, Vol. 1, Issue 1: Postmodernism: Visualizing a Movement; University of Florida Department of English, Gainesville, Fla., 2017.
- Illustration, Wes ANDERZINE, No. 4, "Rushmore and Peanuts." High Five Book, UK, 2016.
- "Daumier’s Deadline: Expedited Expressiveness and Franco-Belgian Cartooning." International Journal of Comic Art, Vol. 17, No. 1, 2015.
- "Summer: The Ages of the X-Men." Generation X: Mutants Made to Order, McFarland Press, Golden, Colo., 2014.
- "The Sakai Project: Artists Celebrate Thirty Years of Usagi Yojimbo Watercolor Painting, Usagi Enjoys a Bowl of Udon," Dark Horse Comics, Milwaukie, Ore., 2014.
- Bartkira, Vol. 5, pages 276–280, edited by James Harvey, 2013.
- "Unknown Origins & Untimely Ends: A Collection of Unsolved Mysteries," Addie Mae’s Grave, Hic Hoc Publications, Spring 2013.
- Drawing Cartoons & Comics for Dummies. Technical editor. Wiley Publishing, Hoboken, N.J., 2009.
- "Getting Started: Comic Illustration Kit." instruction booklet forward and consultant, Faber-Castell USA, Cleveland, Ohio, 2009.
- "Smart Arts: Observations on Art in Academia." Works + Conversation, Issue 10, The Society for the ReCognition of Art, Berkeley, Calif., May 2005.
- "The Casual Keyhole." Ornithopter, Issue 6, 8 Eye Press, Tucson, Ariz., Spring 2004.
- "Delores," CMYK Magazine, Issue 25, Aroune-Freigen Publishing Company, New York, June 2003.