Certain students are selected for verification by the federal government when a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is filed. Notification of selection for verification appears on the Student Aid Report (SAR). Students are notified by SCAD via email and on MySCAD. When a student is selected for verification, the financial aid office is required to verify various data elements listed on the student's FAFSA. If you were selected for verification, please read the following instructions carefully to avoid a delay in processing your aid.
What you should do now
- Submit completed and signed verification worksheet, as requested.
- If you successfully utilized the IRS data retrieval tool when completing the FASFA and did not change the data on your FAFSA, you are not required to submit a tax transcript and will not be asked for one.
If you did not utilize the IRS data retrieval tool, or made changes to the data on your FAFSA, you must submit your prior-year IRS tax return transcript(s).
- Dependent students must also submit parent(s) prior-year IRS tax return transcript.
- Independent students must also submit spouse’s prior-year IRS tax return transcript if filing separately.
- Foreign tax returns must be converted into U.S. dollars, as on the FAFSA.
- IRS transcripts can be requested online at irs.gov, by phone at 800.908.9946, or by mail using IRS Form 4506-T. Online is the quickest method.
- You do not need to make changes to your FAFSA; SCAD will make changes as needed after verification. However, you can update your FAFSA using the IRS data retrieval tool and, if no changes are made to the data, submitting a tax transcript is not necessary.
What happens next
The information submitted to SCAD is compared to the information on your FAFSA. This can take up to two weeks, depending on the time of year.
If there are no discrepancies between the information on your FAFSA and the information you supplied, your financial aid will be processed and you will receive an award letter.
If there are discrepancies between the information on your FAFSA and the information you supplied, SCAD will make the corrections. When the corrections are processed, you will receive another Student Aid Report from the government. Your aid will be processed and you will receive an award letter.
If SCAD does not have enough information or needs clarification on items submitted, you will be notified. Verification cannot continue until all issues are resolved. Financial aid is not awarded, or if already awarded, will not be disbursed, until verification is completed. If verification cannot be completed before the end of the quarter, you could lose eligibility for some types of financial aid for that quarter. Generally, financial aid cannot be awarded or disbursed after the end of the award year; therefore, timely submission of supporting documentation is imperative.
If you are selected for verification after you have received your initial award letter, your financial aid could change once verification is completed. You will receive an updated award letter via email within two weeks, if aid changes.
1600 Peachtree St.
Atlanta, GA 30309
292 Tai Po Road
Sham Shui Po, Hong Kong
115 E. York St.
Savannah, GA 31401
912.525.5820 (undergraduate) or 912.525.6315 (graduate)
Financial Aid office
P.O. Box 2701
Savannah, GA 31402-2701
Did you request a time extension on your tax return?
If you have requested a filing extension, you must submit a copy ofthecompletedApplicationforAutomaticExtensionofTimeto File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, IRS Form 4868, along with the following documentation:
- Verification worksheet
- W-2s from all wage earners
- Self-employed persons must provide a signed statement with the amount of their adjusted gross income and taxes paid.
Did you submit an amended tax return?
If you amended your tax return, you must also submit a signed IRS Form 1040X tax return, in addition to your tax return transcript, to complete verification.
- Standard verification worksheet
- Verification worksheet for SNAP
- Verification worksheet for Child Support Paid
- Verification worksheet for Identity and Statement of Education Purpose (notary)
- Verification worksheet High School Completion Status