Clarence Thomas Center for Historic Preservation
The Clarence Thomas Center for Historic Preservation was built in 1908 in the Classic Revival style as an orphanage and convent for the Missionary Sisters of the Franciscan order. As a child, Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas was an altar boy in this building, thus the facility bears his name.
Following an extensive restoration and rehabilitation in Fall 2009, the handsome three-story brick building became home to the historic preservation program. In January 2010, Justice Thomas returned to Savannah for the building's dedication.
The state-of-the-art facility provides classrooms, offices, computer labs, a historic conservation lab and workshop in a restored property that is a contributing building to the National Historic Landmark District.