Frequently asked questions

How many credits will transfer? When will I know how many credits have transferred?

After a student is accepted, transfer advisers review transcripts to determine which classes have the potential to transfer to SCAD. Once the review is complete, students are emailed the transcript evaluation. A maximum of 90 quarter hours of undergraduate credit for a bachelor's degree may be given for courses appropriate to the respective curriculum. Only grades of 2.0 (C) or better for undergraduate credit may be transferred.

Will my associate's degree fulfill the first two years of my course of study at SCAD?

Transfer credit at SCAD is evaluated on a course-by-course basis, so associate's degrees may or may not fulfill the first two years of a student's course of study at SCAD.

Are transfer students eligible for scholarships?

Transfer students are eligible for scholarships based on academic and/or artistic achievements. SCAD also offers a limited number of need-based scholarships. In addition, transfer students may qualify for:

  • Transfer Scholars: An $18,000-per-year scholarship is awarded to a limited number of accepted transfer students who demonstrate outstanding academic achievement and have excelled in the areas of art, design, riding or writing. Minimum requirements include 45 quarter hours or 27 semester hours of college-level coursework maintaining a cumulative grade point average of 3.5 or better on a 4.0 scale, demonstration of outstanding leadership potential and documentation of extracurricular activities, honors and awards. In addition, a portfolio, audition, riding or writing submission is required and must be judged to be of excellent quality by the Admission Review Committee.
  • Phi Theta Kappa Scholarship: A scholarship of at least $5,000 per year is awarded to eligible Phi Theta Kappa International Honors Society members. Documentation of membership is required.

Can my scholarship portfolio be used as my transfer credit portfolio?

A portfolio review may be required for transfer of specific studio courses during the student's first quarter of enrollment and for final determination of transfer credit. To receive specific studio course credit, students must follow the portfolio submission criteria and guidelines available from the admission office. Guidelines and criteria are also included with transfer credit evaluations. While the scholarship portfolio can be used, it may not necessarily prove competency in a specific studio course. Applicants should contact a transfer adviser in the admission department if they are planning to use a scholarship portfolio for transfer credit.

Does SCAD grant experiential credit?

SCAD does not grant experiential credit; however, SCAD may recognize the following exams for credit: Advanced Placement (AP), A-level (including British A-level/AS-level and Hong Kong A-level/AS-level), Caribbean Advanced Proficiency Examination, College-Level Examination Program, Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support/DANTES Subject Standardized Tests, International Baccalaureate (IB), French Baccalaureate and German Abitur. Credit is awarded on a selective basis.

My school is on the semester system. What system does SCAD use?

Undergraduate and graduate courses are taught on the quarter system, with each course carrying five hours of college credit. Students normally enroll in three courses each quarter, spending 15 to 20 hours per week in class and at least 15 to 20 hours per week working on assignments outside class. The normal academic year includes three quarters. Students may enroll in the summer quarter as well; however, course offerings may be limited.

Who do I contact if I have questions about my transfer credit, financial aid or scholarships?

Once you have applied, a team of admission advisers is available to assist you and answer questions about financial aid and scholarships. Transfer advisers are available to address questions regarding transfer credit.

How do I register for classes?

Upon acceptance, transfer students work with transfer advisers in the admission department to determine how earned college credit may apply toward degree requirements at SCAD and to register for first-quarter classes. Enrolled transfer students are assigned a student success adviser and a faculty adviser appropriate to their chosen major. They are required to meet with their student success adviser their first quarter of enrollment and once a year thereafter. Transfer students also should meet with their faculty adviser on a quarterly basis.

Am I required to live in SCAD housing? Where can I find information about off-campus housing?

Living in university residence halls gives students the opportunity to experience personal growth and form lasting friendships. SCAD's residential communities celebrate diversity and foster educational, social, emotional, intellectual and cultural development. Students are not required to reside in SCAD housing; however, SCAD scholarship amounts for undergraduate students vary according to the students' choice of residing in SCAD housing or residing off campus.

I'd like to visit SCAD. When can I come?

The best way to learn more about SCAD is to visit! Daily tours are offered Monday through Saturday in Savannah and Atlanta, and Monday through Friday and select Saturdays in Hong Kong. SCAD Days are offered throughout the year. During these special visitation days you may take a tour, learn about the admission process, and meet with admission advisers, faculty, and other prospective students.