- B.F.A., information/graphic design, Central Connecticut State University, 1999
- M.F.A., computer art, Savannah College of Art and Design, 2001
Upon graduation from SCAD, Gallagher began working at Digital Domain, a visual effects company co-founded by film directors James Cameron and Stan Winston, with executive Scott Ross. There, Gallagher worked on feature films "XXX," "The Day After Tomorrow and "Stealth."
Seeking new challenges focused on character performance, he moved on to Electronic Arts in 2004 to work on the video game "GoldenEye: Rogue Agent."
He was then recruited by Weta Digital, Peter Jackson's New Zealand-based visual effects company. Gallagher accepted and relocated there for a year to work on Academy Award-winning film, "King Kong." At Weta Digital, Gallagher learned the balance between deep, emotional character performance and heart-pounding action.
Next, Sony Pictures Imageworks recruited him in 2006 to work on “Surf's Up," "Spider-Man 3," "I Am Legend" and others.
In 2009, Gallagher was recruited by Walt Disney Animation Studios to work on "Tangled" and "Wreck-it-Ralph" and spent more than seven years there as an animation technical director. During his tenure, Gallagher contributed to Academy Award-winning films "Frozen," "Big Hero 6," "Zootopia" and animated shorts "Paperman" and "Feast."
Awards, recognitions and honors
- Technical director for "Zootopia" (2016), Academy Award and Annie Award winner for Best Animated Feature Film
- Technical director for "Moana" (2016), Academy Award nominee for Best Animated Feature Film
- Technical director for "Big Hero 6" (2014), Academy Award winner for Best Animated Feature Film
- Technical director for "Frozen" (2013), Academy Award and Annie Award winner for Best Animated Feature Film
- Technical director for "Wreck-It Ralph" (2012), Academy Award nominee and Annie Award winner for Best Animated Feature Film
- Animation technical director for "King Kong" (2005), Academy Award winner for Best Achievement in Visual Effects
- 43 Visual Effects Society Award nominations, including nine wins for "Feast," "Big Hero 6" and "Frozen."
Visual Effects Society, International Animated Film Association (ASIFA), Special Interest Group on Computer Graphics and Interactive Techniques (SIGGRAPH)
Publications and Presentations
- "The Artistry of TechAnim: New Cloth Workflows on Big Hero 6"
- Walt Disney Animation Studios in-house technical summit "EigenSkin"