How can I pay the application fee if I do not have an American credit/debit card?

Students without a valid credit or debit card may mail a check or money order for US$40 to SCAD Admission Department, P.O. Box 2072, Savannah, GA, 31402-2072 USA.

Can international students apply for certificate programs?

International students can only apply for certificates offered through eLearning. Since a certificate is not a full degree, we would not be able to issue them a student visa.

Where can I view the graduate portfolio guidelines?

Acceptance into graduate programs at SCAD is based heavily on the portfolio. Unlike undergraduate portfolios, graduate program portfolios are required for acceptance and must be program-specific. Each program has its preferred types of portfolios. To learn more, visit

What kinds of fellowships, teaching assistantships, and internships do you offer for graduate students?

At the graduate level we offer graduate and dean's fellowships. To be considered for a graduate fellowship, applicants must present a cumulative undergraduate grade-point average of at least 3.3 (on a four-point scale), and must submit a superior-quality portfolio and statement of purpose. To be considered for a dean's fellowship, applicants must present a cumulative undergraduate grade-point average of at least 3.5 (on a four-point scale), and must submit a superior-quality portfolio and statement of purpose. Teaching and field internships are available for college credit.

If I am applying to the graduate program but my undergraduate degree was a three-year degree, will you accept this? If not, what do I need to do to apply to the master's program?

SCAD uses the standards established by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers to determine the equivalent academic achievement of a bachelor's degree. Transcripts are evaluated to determine the conferment of bachelor's degrees from institutions that are recognized by the ministry of education or equivalent agency in the applicant's home country.

What if I do not have a major-specific portfolio?

Applicants who don't have a major specific portfolio would have to apply as a transfer student or nondegree-seeking student. A major-specific portfolio is a requirement to be considered for graduate admission. If a student has a major-specific portfolio that would not qualify for regular graduate acceptance, then the faculty does have a limited number of undergraduate conditional courses that can be assigned instead of or in addition to any intensive course requirements.

Can I apply to the graduate program if I am coming from a totally different undergraduate program?

While your bachelor's degree may be in an unrelated field, your portfolio should be specific to the intended course of graduate study. The portfolio guidelines are specific to each graduate program. If you are not sure you can put together an appropriate body of work for a graduate program, you may want to consider applying as a nondegree-seeking student or a transfer student. Learn more about graduate portfolio submission at One exception to this policy is the Master of Architecture program.

Is the GRE required for graduate admission?

While not required of most applicants, submission of GRE scores is strongly encouraged for applicants to architectural history, art history, business design and arts leaderships and cinema studies. Additionally, if your undergraduate program doesn't meet certain requirements regarding accreditation and/or approval by the U.S. Department of Education, GRE scores may be required. Please discuss this with your admission adviser to be sure what will be required of you.

What is the difference between a Masters of Arts (M.A.) and a Masters of Fine Arts (M.F.A.)?

The Master of Arts is a minimum of 45 hours of study. It does not usually include a field internship or a thesis. The Master of Fine Arts, a minimum of 90 hours of study, is often a terminal degree for that program. This means that there is not a degree that goes higher than an M.F.A. within this specific program of study. Students will be completing a thesis and internship; plus, they will have more classes concentrated within that program. With the M.F.A. they will also have the ability to teach at the college level.

Do you accept graduate transfer credit?

For the 45-hour M.A. graduate degree, we do not accept transfer credits.  For the 90-hour M.F.A. graduate degree, however, a maximum of 20 quarters hours of graduate academic credit may be given for courses appropriate to the SCAD curriculum. Only graduate courses with grades of at least a 3.0 (B) taken at institutions with a level of graduate course content and level of instruction comparable to that of SCAD may be transferred. Graduate transfer credit can only be considered after a student has been accepted to a SCAD graduate program.