Published: Mar 20, 2013
Twelve SCAD students and alumnae are semi-finalists in the 2013 Emerging Designer Competition: East, to be held during Charleston Fashion Week March 19-23.
SAVANNAH, Georgia-Twelve SCAD fashion
students and alumnae are among 20 semi-finalists competing for the grand prize in the Emerging Designer Competition: East, a Charleston Fashion Week challenge, Saturday, March 23, in Charleston, South Carolina.
Semi-finalists will debut full collections during CFW and one designer will be named grand-prize winner by the CFW fashion panel.
SCAD semi-finalists are:
- Katherine Barron (B.F.A., fashion, 2012)
- Hyemin Cho (M.F.A. fashion student)
- Roz Morris (former SCAD student)
- Callie Nichol (B.F.A., fashion, 2012)
- Kita Nolley (M.A., fashion, 2012)
- Monisha Pillai (B.F.A., fashion, 2011)
- Sabrina Spanta (B.F.A. fashion student)
- Hope Wallace (M.F.A., fashion, 2007)
- Cassidy Brown (B.F.A., fashion, 2012)
- Karen Hulse (B.F.A., fashion, 2011)
- Kendra Duplantier (B.F.A., fashion, 2011)
- Mary Katherine Schweitzer (M.A., fashion, 2011)
The challenge recognizes and promotes the East Coast's next top fashion designers and has a grand prize valued at more than $20,000. Among the items to be awarded are a $5,000 cash prize, $10,000 worth of online marketing and promotional packages from F22 Designs and a runway show at Charleston Fashion Week 2014. Challenge applicants first submitted their design concepts nine months ago and, after a rigorous selection process, 20 designers were chosen to compete as semi-finalists.
CFW is a five-night fashion celebration showcasing emerging designer and model talent across the East Coast and has become one of the premier fashion weeks in North America since its founding in 2007. The Emerging Designer Competition: East is a CFW cornerstone and is credited with launching the careers of numerous up-and-coming fashion designers.
SCAD: The University for Creative Careers
The Savannah College of Art and Design is a private, nonprofit, accredited institution conferring bachelor's and master's degrees at distinctive locations and online to prepare talented students for professional careers. SCAD offers degrees in more than 40 majors. Visit scad.edu