Course reserves guidelines
Allow sufficient time
- It may take four weeks or longer to order and process an in-print book for course reserves.
- Out-of-print books require a longer time period to purchase and process and may not be available at all.
- Reserve books bought from Ex-Libris Bookstore require a purchase order; this requires at least one week.
In accordance with federal copyright law, items are removed from the reserve shelves at the end of the quarter unless you request that they remain.
- Requests must be for specific items; not for an entire list.
- If the items are your personal copies, you will be notified through SCAD email to pick them up.
- Items not picked up will be put into storage if not picked up within two weeks of notification.
Items placed on reserve must comply with Federal Copyright Law. It is the responsibility of the instructor to ensure copyright compliance. Items not in compliance with copyright law cannot be placed on reserve.
All photocopied items placed on reserve must be accompanied by a complete bibliographic citation furnished by the instructor. Items that do not have the correct or complete citation cannot be placed on reserve and will be returned to the instructor.
Items that can be placed on reserve:
- A book owned by SCAD libraries
- A personal copy (but not photocopy) of a book owned by the instructor
- Photocopies of articles from journals owned by SCAD libraries
- Photocopies of portions of books owned by SCAD libraries, provided the book itself is also on reserve
- Photocopies of portions of books not owned by SCAD libraries, as long as the library has placed an order to purchase the book, or the library is making an effort to locate and purchase the book if it is not readily available
Items that cannot be placed on reserve:
- Photocopies of items not owned by the library, unless you have obtained written permission from the publisher to copy the items
Electronic course reserves
- E-reserve materials must adhere to Federal Copyright Law, and all provisions listed above apply to e-reserve items
- You must furnish a clear copy of the material to be scanned to the Course Reserve Coordinator
- A complete bibliographic citation must accompany the material to be scanned
- Materials with no or incomplete citations will be returned
For questions about course reserves in Savannah, contact Stephanie Raines contact by email or by phone at 912.525.4710.
For questions about course reserves in Atlanta, contact Mike Varin at 404.253.6085.
For questions about course reserves in Lacoste, contact Stephanie Raines by e-mail or by phone at 912.525.4710.