Frequently asked questions - Visa

International student information

Frequently asked questions - Visa

Can I enter Hong Kong before the quarter commences?

You are guaranteed to receive your student visa on time only if you arrive at Hong Kong on the designated date suggested by SCAD Hong Kong. If you intend to arrive at Hong Kong earlier, send an email before booking your flight.

How will my supporting documents be used?

Only staff directly involved in visa application process will have access to the documents you provide. All information is highly confidential and will be used for student visa applications only. All electronic copies stored will be deleted once your student visa is approved.

Under Hong Kong's immigration policy, the immigration department will ensure the integrity and confidentiality of the information it receives.

How long is my student visa valid for?

It depends on the length of your study at SCAD Hong Kong.

Current SCAD students transferring to the Hong Kong location, unless otherwise specified, will have a valid visa for 11 weeks. Email if you intend to stay for more than a quarter.

New students who will stay for more than one academic year are eligible to apply for a student visa valid for one year, which they will renew annually.

If I decide to discontinue my study at SCAD Hong Kong, can I still hold the student visa until it expires?

No. In compliance with Hong Kong's immigration policy on study, SCAD Hong Kong will notify the Hong Kong immigration department within seven days following the termination of study. The student must leave Hong Kong within four weeks of the termination date. It is an immigration offense if you fail to leave Hong Kong within the prescribed time.

Can I work in Hong Kong during my study?

Only students whose study period is not less than one academic year may accept an internship, subject to the following conditions:

  • The internship must be curriculum-related and be arranged or endorsed by the institutions where the student is studying; and
  • The duration of the internship is up to one academic year, or one-third of the normal duration of the relevant full-time academic program, whichever is shorter.

There is no restriction on the nature of work, level of salary, location, number of working hours and employers.

Eligible students will receive a "No Objection Letter" upon approval of entry and extension of stay applications. This letter will spell out the types and conditions of employment for which a student may be eligible.

Can I apply for student visa on my own?

No. All applications must be forwarded to SCAD Hong Kong first, as the university will attach a visa sponsorship form and enrollment letter to each application.