Students planning to attend SCAD Hong Kong who do not have a right of abode in Hong Kong must apply for a student visa.
Currently enrolled students who wish to apply for a student visa to study at SCAD Hong Kong must:
- have a passport that is valid for at least one year after the proposed date of entry into Hong Kong
- meet with a student success adviser to confirm Hong Kong class option; students in Hong Kong on a visa must be enrolled full time (three classes for undergraduate students, two for graduate students)
- complete Change of Location - Hong Kong Campus form available via MySCAD. The form must be signed by a student success adviser
Students must have sufficient funds for study in Hong Kong. Funding can be in the form of bank deposits, grants, loans, scholarships and regular income.
Current SCAD students transferring to SCAD Hong Kong should secure at least HK$120,000 (~US$15,464) for each quarter of study in Hong Kong.
New students admitted to SCAD Hong Kong should secure at least HK$360,000 (~US$46,392) for every academic year. Requirements may change on a case-by-case basis. Please confirm financial details with an admission adviser.
The Hong Kong Immigration Department requires students to attach supporting documents in the application to prove funding source. For documents required please refer to the "Student Visa Application" section.
SCAD Hong Kong visa information
Information for SCAD students on applying for a student visa for study in Hong Kong.
According to the Hong Kong Immigration Department guidelines, a student visa application requires six weeks to process. For students to receive their student visas by mail prior to their departure, they must submit their original visa application before the deadline:
|Applying for||Application deadline|
|Fall 2015||July 1, 2015|
|Winter 2016||Oct. 28, 2016|
|Spring 2016||Jan. 13, 2016|
|Summer 2016||April 6, 2016|
Applications will not be considered if all required documents are not received by the deadline.
Extension of student visa
It is the students' responsibility to take note of their visa's expiration date and to renew it on time. The expiration date is on your visa page.
Please start the process one month before your student visa expires. Here are the steps to extend your visa:
- Email your intended length of stay.
- Receive the visa extension application and guidelines.
- Collect enrollment confirmation letter from the student success office.
- Submit the application form and the confirmation letter issued by SCAD to the Hong Kong Immigration Department in person. Bring your passport.
- The immigration department will issue a receipt stating the date and time you must return to collect your visa label, usually scheduled for two weeks later. On the day of your appointment, bring HK$160 visa fee in cash, the receipt from the immigration department and your passport.
- Immediately affix the label on a blank visa page of your passport.
- Present your passport with the new label to the student success office for validation.
You must be physically in Hong Kong on the date of submission and the date of collection of the visa label. If you will be out of town on either or both of the dates, you should apply for early visa extension. Send an email for assistance.
Frequently asked questions
Can I enter Hong Kong before the quarter commences?
You are guaranteed to receive your student visa on time only if you arrive at Hong Kong on the designated date suggested by SCAD Hong Kong. If you intend to arrive at Hong Kong earlier, send an email before booking your flight.
How will my supporting documents be used?
Only staff directly involved in the visa application process will have access to the documents you provide. All information is highly confidential and will be used for student visa applications only. All electronic copies stored will be deleted once your student visa is approved.
Under Hong Kong's immigration policy, the immigration department will ensure the integrity and confidentiality of the information it receives.
How long is my student visa valid for?
It depends on the length of your study at SCAD Hong Kong.
Current SCAD students transferring to the Hong Kong location, unless otherwise specified, will have a valid visa for 11 weeks. Email if you intend to stay for more than a quarter.
New students who will stay for more than one academic year are eligible to apply for a student visa valid for one year, which they will renew annually.
If I decide to discontinue my study at SCAD Hong Kong, can I still hold the student visa until it expires?
No. In compliance with Hong Kong's immigration policy on study, SCAD Hong Kong will notify the Hong Kong immigration department within seven days following the termination of study. The student must leave Hong Kong within four weeks of the termination date. It is an immigration offense if you fail to leave Hong Kong within the prescribed time.
Can I work in Hong Kong during my study?
Only students whose study period is not less than one academic year may accept an internship, subject to the following conditions:
- The internship must be curriculum-related and be arranged or endorsed by the institutions where the student is studying
- The duration of the internship is up to one academic year, or one-third of the normal duration of the relevant full-time academic program, whichever is shorter
There is no restriction on the nature of work, level of salary, location, number of working hours and employers.
Eligible students will receive a "No Objection Letter" upon approval of entry and extension of stay applications. This letter will spell out the types and conditions of employment for which a student may be eligible.
Can I apply for a student visa on my own?
No. All applications must be forwarded to SCAD Hong Kong first, as the university will attach a visa sponsorship form and enrollment letter to each application.