Suspicious person, package or substance
If you notice a suspicious person, package or substance, take these steps:
- Do not provide unauthorized individuals access to buildings and offices or allow them to follow you into controlled access areas.
- Do not physically confront the person or block his or her access to an exit.
- Call the Department of University Safety and provide as much information as possible about the person and his or her direction of travel.
Package or substance
- Do not touch or disturb the item or material.
- Call the Department of University Safety.
- Notify others and evacuate the immediate area.
- Assist disabled individuals to safe refuge areas.
- Once you are out of the building, move a safe distance away and follow the safety officials' instructions.
- Do not re-enter the building until directed to do so by emergency personnel.
If you should receive a threat about an explosive in your immediate area, follow this procedure:
- Note any identifying information about the threat and any details about the device.
- Evacuate immediately and move away from the hazard.
- Call 911 and the Department of University Safety.
- Follow the instructions of public safety officials and emergency personnel.
- Do not touch anything as you evacuate.
- Report any suspicious items, actions or individuals to authorities.
Department of University Safety
Emergency contact numbers
Emergencies in the U.S.
Emergencies in France
Emergencies in Hong Kong
To arrange a SafeRide, call 404.253.3333 in Atlanta or 912.525.4500 in Savannah.