SCAD Libraries are key, central learning resources for each location they serve. They provide access to a wealth of print, electronic and special collections materials targeted to the needs of students, faculty and staff. In addition, each library affords an inviting, secure environment for work and study. All SCAD Libraries* are closed to members of the general public. In addition to providing access to current SCAD students, faculty, staff and alumni with valid ID, SCAD libraries also provide access to the following:
- Individuals with valid IDs from other institutions of higher learning, including cultural institutions (e.g. museums)
- Escorted guests of faculty and staff, upon acknowledgment and sign-in at the front desk; unescorted guests by prior faculty or staff arrangement with the head librarian or dean of library services
- Family members escorted by SCAD students, upon presentation of identification, particularly during special events such as orientation or commencement
- Groups with related professional interests such as conference attendees or those affiliated with the university for special events such as the Savannah Film Festival or SCAD Style, by prior arrangement with library staff
*SCAD Hong Kong Library is accessible to members of the general public during the regular operating hours of the campus: Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. All visitors are allowed to use collections in house. Priority of using materials, resources and equipment will be given to current SCAD students, faculty, staff and alumni.
A valid SCAD ID is needed to check out materials.
Circulation periods are as follows:
- Undergraduates may check out up to 10 circulating books for two-week periods.
- Graduate students may check out up to 30 books at a time.
- Faculty members may check out books for 180 days, but the books are subject to recall for use by another patron at any time. Books which have been requested by other patrons will check out for 30 days.
- SCAD staff (non-faculty) may check out up to 10 circulating books for two-week periods.
- SCAD Alumni may check out up to five circulating books for two-week periods.
Renewals: Checked-out materials may be renewed online
- The item is not on hold for another patron.
- The item is not overdue.
- The patron does not owe any fines to the library.
- If unable to renew online, please bring the item(s) to the library in-person or call for more information.
Reference books, reserve materials, periodicals and special collections are for in-library use only.
Fines: Fines are charged on overdue materials at the following rates:
- Circulating materials: 10 cents per day
- Interlibrary loan materials: $5 per day
- Reserve materials (limited in-library use only): $1 per hour
- Fines can be paid in the library with cash, check, or SCAD card (no credit cards). Please call the library if you are unable to pay a fine in-person.
Current students and faculty of 20 Atlanta-area colleges and universities can share library resources through an interlibrary loan and interlibrary use program. Students are also able to take classes at each location. ARCHE Member institutions include: Emory, Georgia Tech, Agnes Scott and Spelman College, just to name a few. For more information, contact the ACA Library circulation desk at 404.253.3196.
The SCAD Libraries Catalog
is available for general searching by anyone. However, a valid SCAD ID is required for remote access to library databases, e-books and other electronic resources. Alumni may not access electronic resources remotely.
All patron information is confidential. Reading history (records of materials previously checked out) is not retained unless specifically requested by the patron. You may opt-in by signing into your account
: Click "my reading history." Patrons may opt out at any time.
The libraries welcome donations of books and other materials that are up-to-date, support SCAD's current academic programs, and are in clean and useable condition. SCAD Libraries reserves the right to refuse donations and sell, discard or transfer donated materials not added to the collection.
Donations are accepted by appointment only; contact the library nearest you to set up a meeting.
Per SCAD campus policies, photography and filming of any kind are not allowed in any library location without prior approval. Please contact the library to inquire about obtaining permissions.