The Clarence Thomas Center for Historic Preservation was built in 1908 in the Classic Revival style as an orphanage and convent for the Missionary Sisters of the Franciscan order. As a child, Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas was an alter boy in this building, thus the facility bears his name. Following an extensive restoration and rehabilitation in Fall 2009, the handsome three-story brick building became home to the historic preservation program. In January 2010, Justice Thomas returned to Savannah for the building's dedication. The state-of-the-art facility provides classrooms, offices, computer labs, a historic conservation lab and workshop in a restored property that is a contributing building to the National Historic Landmark District. Historic preservation alumni find careers as conservators, preservation contractors and consultants, curators, archivists, specialists, historians and restoration artisans.