A tradition of grandeur
In the midst of the post-World War II construction boom the Weis Theater opened its doors on Valentine's Day, 1946, with the distinction of having one of the largest movie screens in the South and the first theater in the Southeast to be built with adjustable air conditioning. Boasting 1,200 seats and the ability to accommodate both motion pictures and stage productions, locals news reports hailed the theater as not only attractive, but offering the best in "projection equipment and sound devices." This tradition of superb, state-of-the-art equipment has been maintained into the 21st century in large part due to SCAD acquiring the briefly abandoned building in 1989.
History of headliners
The theater's opening show, an 11 a.m. screening of "Enchanted Forest," starring Brenda Joyce and Edmund Lowe, began more than three decades of phenomenal shows ranging from motion pictures to live stage productions. After undergoing major renovations under SCAD's ownership, the theater reopened in 1989 with a performance by Tony Bennett. In years following its reopening, the theater has played host to the Savannah Film Festival, the Savannah Music Festival, Neko Case, Arturo Sandoval, India.Arie and the B-52s, among others.