Intruder and active shooter
By learning crime prevention and safety tips, and being aware of their surroundings, students can help protect themselves and their property from being victimized by crime. The information outlined below will aid you in developing a crime prevention strategy.
If you are at the incident scene secure your personal safety and contact 911. Describe what is occurring with the following information:
- Building name and room number or floor location.
- Number of people with you.
- Number of people injured.
- Description of the offender. Include gender, race, clothing, physical features and name if known. Also let the dispatcher know if weapons are involved and if there has been gunfire or explosions.
Do not sound the fire alarm!
Active shooter response
- Have an escape route and plan in mind.
- Leave your belongings behind.
- Keep your hands visible.
- Hide in an area out of the active shooter’s view.
- Block entry to your hiding place and lock the doors.
As a last resort and only when your life is in imminent danger.
- Attempt to incapacitate the active shooter.
- Act with physical aggression and throw items at the shooter.
- Call 911 as soon as it is safe to do so.
Emergency response personnel
The first law enforcement officers responding to a crime at a SCAD location will make stopping or capturing the offender their first priority. These officers may be dressed in police uniforms or in tactical clothing with bulletproof vests and helmets. They may be carrying rifles, pistols, shotguns and tear gas. When you come into contact with an officer or team of officers do the following:
- Do not be afraid of the officers; follow their instructions.
- Try to remain calm.
- Keep your hands visible at all times.
- If you know the location of the offender, tell the police officers.
- Do not leave the police-secured area or assembly location until you have been released by the authorities.
- Do not remove automobiles from parking decks or adjacent building parking lots until law enforcement has said that it is safe to do so.
Department of University Safety
Emergency contact numbers
Emergencies in the U.S.
Emergencies in France
Emergencies in Hong Kong
To arrange a SafeRide, call 404.253.3333 in Atlanta or 912.525.4500 in Savannah.