Student employment


The student employment office is dedicated to assisting enrolled students with their employment search process. Positions may be located on or off campus and students must meet certain eligibility requirements. Job opportunities are intended to allow students to apply skills learned inside the classroom in a relevant professional setting.

For more information regarding the university’s student employment program, or to review eligibility requirements, visit or send an email. Staff can also be reached by phone during normal business hours at 912.525.8776.



To be eligible for student employment, students must meet the following requirements:

  • You must be a degree-seeking undergraduate or graduate student.
  • You must be enrolled at least half time, as defined by the registrar
  • Undergraduate students must be enrolled in at least 10 credit hours per quarter.
  • Graduate students must be enrolled in at least 5 credit hours per quarter.
  • You must have a minimum 2.0 GPA as an undergraduate student and a 3.0 GPA as a graduate student.
  • You must be making satisfactory academic progress.

Note: Some positions may have additional requirements. Eligible locations include Savannah and Atlanta, Georgia, and Lacoste. You may review your eligibility on MySCAD within the Student Employment channel.


Federal Work-Study (FWS)

The Federal Work-Study Program at SCAD provides part-time on-campus and off-campus job opportunities for degree-seeking students. This federally funded program is designed to provide jobs that complement and reinforce a student’s educational program and career goals. You must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) before SCAD can determine your FWS eligibility. A FAFSA can be submitted by U.S. citizens and eligible non-citizens.

Money earned through FWS can be used to help pay for any educational expenses such as fees, tuition, housing, books, supplies, etc. It’s important to remember that you are responsible for determining where the money is allocated: earnings are not automatically applied to tuition or fees, rather you will receive a biweekly payroll disbursement.


How to apply

Log in to MySCAD

  • Select the My Info tab
  • Scroll down to the Student Employment channel

Within the Student Employment channel, you will see one of the following under "Eligibility":

  • You are eligible for federal and institutional employment.
  • You are eligible for federal employment
  • You are eligible for institutional employment.
  • You are not eligible at this time.

If eligible for student employment, you should:

  • Review the available open positions listed by location (click the hyperlink that relates to your location).
  • Follow hiring instructions on job posting.


Community service

A variety of community service opportunities are available for Federal Work-Study eligible students, who wish to provide services that improve the quality of life for community residents. Community service positions can be on-campus, off-campus or both, and allow students to be involved with a variety of non-profit organizations.

Benefits of being a student employee

  • Students with little or no employment experience can establish an employment record and acquire fundamental professional skills that are necessary in their desired professional careers.
  • Students have an opportunity to gain career-related experience through various employment opportunities on and off campus.
  • Supervisors of student employees are sensitive to a student’s academic schedule and provide flexibility in scheduling around class times.
  • Student employment positions provide networking opportunities for students who are beginning to build their professional career.


Frequently asked questions

What do I do once I've determined my eligibility?
If you are eligible for student employment, you may view the open positions and begin contacting hiring supervisors. If you are hired, you will receive an email from student employment with further instructions on completing the new hire process.

Where do I find a list of open positions?
Available student employment positions are listed in MySCAD in the Student Employment channel.

How many hours can I work?
Each student is allowed to work a maximum of 20 hours per week.

How many jobs can I have?
There is no limit on the number of jobs students can have; however, each student cannot work more than 20 hours per week.

What is the hourly pay rate?
Student workers are typically paid federal minimum wage ($7.25).

How often do student workers get paid?
Student workers are paid once every two weeks. Please refer to the biweekly payroll calendar located in the forms channel in MySCAD for specific dates.

How does student employment affect my financial aid?
Student employment is not listed on your award letter and has no direct impact on your financial aid or student account. Students paid from federal funds must have remaining unmet need as determined by the FAFSA and other aid.

Am I required to keep the same job the entire quarter?
No, you are permitted to change jobs any time during the school year.

Are international students permitted to work even though they may not have a Social Security number?
Yes, international students are allowed to work without a Social Security number; however, international students must apply for a Social Security number and return the receipt to student employment in Bradley Hall before starting work in Savannah, or at the Student Success Center in Atlanta.

If I worked last quarter, do I still need to obtain an eligibility and verification form for this quarter?
No, you are not required to resubmit forms quarterly unless you are changing or adding a position. Students' supervisors will notify student workers if they are no longer eligible to work.

Once I start working, how do I submit my time sheets each pay period?
You will report time worked in MySCAD using an online tool, Web time entry. Your supervisor must approve the electronic timesheet prior to payroll processing.