Transfer credits

Transfer credit appears on the transcript as "T" and is not calculated in the student’s grade-point average. The final 45 hours of any degree program must be earned at SCAD. Study abroad programs offered by SCAD and SCAD eLearning courses are considered in-residence and may be counted as such.

Evaluation of official transcripts

After an undergraduate transfer applicant is accepted for admission, official transcripts showing completed collegiate coursework are evaluated by the admission office to determine whether the student may be granted advanced standing. The coursework must be found to be relevant to the degree the student is seeking at SCAD, with course content and level of instruction resulting in student competencies comparable to or higher than those of students enrolled at SCAD. In assessing and documenting comparable learning through course content and level of instruction, SCAD uses recognized guidelines that aid in the evaluation of credit, such as those published by the American Council on Education and the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers. This policy is consistent with the mission of SCAD and ensures that coursework and learning outcomes are at the collegiate level and comparable to SCAD's degree programs.

Generally, transfer credit may be accepted from institutions that are approved by the U.S. Department of Education and hold regional accreditation, or have appropriate specialized or programmatic accreditation, or have been evaluated and proven to be comparable in course content and level of instruction to SCAD, or are recognized by the ministry of education or equivalent agency in the applicant's home country. Course content is evaluated by comparing the curricula of other institutions with that of SCAD and assessing whether foundation studies, general education and major discipline courses are comparable to those offered at SCAD. Level of instruction is evaluated by comparing the percentage of faculty at other institutions who hold graduate and terminal degrees with the percentage of faculty at SCAD who hold graduate and terminal degrees.

Maximum transfer credits

A maximum of 90 quarter hours of undergraduate credit for a bachelor's degree may be given for courses appropriate to the SCAD curriculum. Only grades of at least 2.0 (C) may be transferred for undergraduate credit. Failure to submit an updated transcript may result in loss of transfer credit.

Portfolio review for transfer or exemption of credit

A portfolio review is required for final transfer/exemption credit determination for specific studio courses before or during the student’s first quarter of enrollment. To receive specific studio course credit, students must follow the portfolio submission criteria and guidelines available through the admission office. Additionally, a review of all course syllabuses may be required. Portfolios are reviewed by faculty members from the applicable departments. Transfer/exemption credit is granted when the quality of work in the portfolio is found to be at least equivalent to that which would earn a grade of 2.0 (C) or better in an equivalent or comparable course at SCAD. Failure to submit a portfolio during the first quarter of enrollment results in the loss of opportunity to transfer/exempt studio credit. Transfer credit earned in a distance-learning program is evaluated on a case-by-case, course-by-course basis.

A student exempted from a required course does not earn academic credit for that course but may substitute a course from the same subject area as approved by the department chair to fulfill the number of hours required to complete degree requirements.

Appealing transfer and exemption decisions

Students who wish to appeal their transfer or exemption of credit decision may submit an updated portfolio for review. Please speak with your transfer adviser prior to submitting to this category. After the first quarter of enrollment, students must submit a written request to the admission department. Please note: Students may only appeal their transfer and/or exemption of credit decision once.

Students who wish to appeal SCAD’s decision regarding transfer of credit from international institutions may provide an outside credential evaluation; however, SCAD reserves the right to make a final determination of transfer credit. A list of acceptable outside evaluators can be obtained from the admission office.

Return to admission information