- B.A., English, Northeast Normal University, Changchun, People's Republic of China, 1982
- M.A., literature, Nankai University, Tianjin, People's Republic of China, 1985
- D.A., humanistic studies, State University of New York at Albany, 1996
In 2003, curated a photography exhibition "Take Root and Blossom: Chinese Immigrants in Savannah (1880s-1990s)-a Photographic Journey," the first of its kind in Savannah, to highlight Chinese immigrants' experience and contributions
Awards, recognitions and honors
Recipient of two Presidential Fellowships for Faculty Development, Savannah College of Art and Design, Spring Quarter, 2003 and Winter Break 2006; sole author and project coordinator, City of Savannah, Department of Cultural Affairs' Weave-A-Dream grant, February 2004; inclusion in Marquis 58th edition of Who's Who in America, 2003
The Modern Language Association of America, 1993-2005; The Popular Cultural Association 2005; The National Ethnic Studies Association, since 2006; The Society for the Study of Multi-Ethnic Literature 2007
Publications and Presentations
- "The Year of Sheep, Mother & Me," Hopscotch, an online magazine for and by women, June 17, 2010.
- Poem "Are You My Mother?" Off Course, A Literary Journal (online), issue #28, fall 2006.
- Published several black and white photographs in JCT (Journal of Curriculum Theorizing):
- "Woman With Hat," Winter 2010, cover.
- "Raindrops," Spring 2009, cover.
- "Belltower," Winter 2008, cover.
- "Paradise on Earth," Spring 2007, 65.
- "Umbrella Man," Winter 2007, cover; "Connections," 38.
- "Poker Face," Spring 2006, cover; "Father," 78.
- "The Guardians," Winter 2005, cover; "Reflections," 134.
- Organized and presented a panel "Poetry of Asian Immigrants: Voices from a Different Shore, Voices from Within" for the American Literature Association Symposium; presented a paper, "Savannah's Famous Poet: Gerald Chan Sieg."
- 2010. American Literature Association Symposium on American Fiction 1890 to the Present. Savannah, Georgia. Paper: "'We Got Our Own Souls, Don't We?': Personal Accountability Leading to Manhood in Alice Walker's The Third Life of Grange Copeland."
- 2009. American Literature Association Symposium on American Fiction 1890 to the Present. Savannah, Georgia. Paper: "Do Not Idealize the Ancestral Home."
- 2009. Arts in Society, an International Conference. Venice, Italy. Power Point Presentation: "Snapshots as Collective Memory: One Immigrant Community Caught on Camera."
- 2006. The 34th Annual Conference of National Association of Ethnic Studies. San Francisco, CA. Power Point Presentation: "Documenting the Journey: Chinese American Community in Savannah, Georgia."
- 2005. PCA/ACA Annual Conference. San Diego, CA. Power Point Presentation: "A Laundryman's Daughter: Gerald Chan Sieg Remembers Her People in Her Poetry."
- 2003. The American Folklore Society's annual meeting. Albuquerque, New Mexico. Paper: "Family Legends and Their Role in Postmodern Society: A Study of Kathryn Morgan's Children of Strangers."
- 2010. Small Works Annual Sales Exhibition. Gutstein Gallery, Savannah, GA. Six color photographs were on display.
- 2007. "Homebound," a sole exhibition of 24 black and white photographs. Hall Street Gallery, Savannah, GA.
- 2004. "Your Neighbor Next Door," curator and photographer, 20 black and white and color photographs. Pei Ling Chan Gallery, Savannah, GA.