- B.A., English, Northeast Normal University, Changchun, People's Republic of China, 1982
- M.A., literature, Nankai University, Tianjin, People's Republic of China, 1985
- D.A., humanistic studies, State University of New York at Albany, 1996
"The opportunity to work with talented students inspires me to be the best teacher I can be."Weihua Zhang | General education professor
Awards, recognition and honors
Recipient of two Presidential Fellowships for Faculty Development, Savannah College of Art and Design, Spring Quarter, 2003 and Winter Break 2006; sole author and project coordinator, City of Savannah, Department of Cultural Affairs' Weave-A-Dream grant, February 2004; inclusion in Marquis 58th edition of Who's Who in America, 2003
The Modern Language Association of America, 1993-2005; The Popular Cultural Association 2005; The National Ethnic Studies Association, since 2006; The Society for the Study of Multi-Ethnic Literature 2007
Adjunct faculty in Humanities, SUNY at Albany, 1994-1996; lecturer in Chinese, Swarthmore College, PA, 1989-1990; lecturer in English, Nankai University, Tianjin, People's Republic of China, 1984-1989
Publications and presentations
- "The Year of Sheep, Mother & Me," Hopscotch, an online magazine for and by women, June 17, 2010.
- Poem "Are You My Mother?" Off Course, A Literary Journal (online), issue #28, fall 2006.
- Published several black and white photographs in JCT (Journal of Curriculum Theorizing):
- "Woman With Hat," Winter 2010, cover.
- "Raindrops," Spring 2009, cover.
- "Belltower," Winter 2008, cover.
- "Paradise on Earth," Spring 2007, 65.
- "Umbrella Man," Winter 2007, cover; "Connections," 38.
- "Poker Face," Spring 2006, cover; "Father," 78.
- "The Guardians," Winter 2005, cover; "Reflections," 134.
- 2010. American Literature Association Symposium on American Fiction 1890 to the Present. Savannah, Georgia. Paper: "'We Got Our Own Souls, Don't We?': Personal Accountability Leading to Manhood in Alice Walker's The Third Life of Grange Copeland."
- 2009. American Literature Association Symposium on American Fiction 1890 to the Present. Savannah, Georgia. Paper: "Do Not Idealize the Ancestral Home."
- 2009. Arts in Society, an International Conference. Venice, Italy. Power Point Presentation: "Snapshots as Collective Memory: One Immigrant Community Caught on Camera."
- 2006. The 34th Annual Conference of National Association of Ethnic Studies. San Francisco, CA. Power Point Presentation: "Documenting the Journey: Chinese American Community in Savannah, Georgia."
- 2005. PCA/ACA Annual Conference. San Diego, CA. Power Point Presentation: "A Laundryman's Daughter: Gerald Chan Sieg Remembers Her People in Her Poetry."
- 2003. The American Folklore Society's annual meeting. Albuquerque, New Mexico. Paper: "Family Legends and Their Role in Postmodern Society: A Study of Kathryn Morgan's Children of Strangers."
- 2010. Small Works Annual Sales Exhibition. Gutstein Gallery, Savannah, GA. Six color photographs were on display.
- 2007. "Homebound," a sole exhibition of 24 black and white photographs. Hall Street Gallery, Savannah, GA.
- 2004. "Your Neighbor Next Door," curator and photographer, 20 black and white and color photographs. Pei Ling Chan Gallery, Savannah, GA.