B.I.D., Auburn University
"Designing something simple is no simple matter."Tom Hardy | Design management professor
Awards, recognition and honors
- IDSA Gold IDEA (U.S.)
- Four I.D. Annual Design Review Awards (U.S.)
- iF Design Award (Germany)
- Premio Smau Design Award (Italy)
- PC Magazine 1992: Innovator (U.S.)
- Participant, President Bill Clinton's Roundtable on Design
- Jury member, Presidential Design Awards
- References in publications such as BusinessWeek, The New York Times and Harvard Business School Publishing/DMI Journal as well as various books including "ThinkPad: A Different Shade of Blue" and "The Race for Perfect"
- Fellowship, National Endowment for the Arts
SCAD School of Design Advisory Board, Design Management Institute Advisory Council, Worldesign Foundation Board of Trustees, International Design Conference in Aspen Advisory Board, National Design Awards Committee of Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum
Prior to operating consultancy, employed at IBM Corp. for 22 years, ultimately as corporate manager of the IBM Design program responsible for worldwide product design and brand identity. Played key roles in development of the original IBM Personal Computer and IBM ThinkPad.
Directed the corporate IBM Design program across 15 design centers in Europe, Japan and the United States: collaborated with pre-eminent designers Paul Rand, Richard Sapper and Edward Tufte.
Publications and presentations
Writings published by AXIS (Japan), Nikkei Design (Japan), FORMdiskurs (Germany), Design (Taiwan), Design Management Journal (U.S.) and Design Issues (U.S.) and Innovation (U.S.)
Industrial Designers Society of America, Design Management Institute, National Endowment for the Arts, United States Information Agency, Japan Society, Columbia University, Pratt Institute, Art Center College of Design, Carnegie Mellon University and Royal College of Art