- B.A., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- M.A., The Graduate Center, The City University of New York
- Ph.D., The Graduate Center, The City University of New York
"Working with award-winning students from SCAD in many disciplines!"
Awards, recognitions and honors
SCAD Presidential Fellowship, 2010; SCAD Faculty Conference Travel Grant, 2007-10; Temple Faculty Initiative Research Grant, 2007; J. Walter Thompson Archive Research Fellowship, Duke University, Durham, N.C., 2003; CUNY Graduate Center Instructional Technology Fellowship, 2003-05; CUNY Graduate Center Writing Across the Curriculum Fellowship, 2001-03
American Anthropological Association, Society for Anthropology of North America, Design History Society, Society for Visual Anthropology, Society for Economic Anthropology, Society for Urban, National and Transnational Anthropology
Publications and Presentations
- Book review of “Roads: An Anthropology of Infrastructure and Expertise,” by Penny Harvey and Hannah Knox. Anthropological Quarterly.
- “Pipeline: Milk, Moms and the Politics of Sharing,” 114th American Anthropological Association meeting, Denver, Colorado (Fall 2015).
- Film review of “The Act of Killing.” Directed by Joshua Oppenheimer, 2012, 115 and 159 minutes. Color. Distributed by Drafthouse Films. Visual Anthropology Review, Vol. 31, No. 1 (2015): 111-112.
- “Clarity, Cut, and Culture: The Many Meanings of Diamonds,” published by NYU Press, 2014
- Interviewed by JCK Magazine, a trade magazine of the jewelry industry, for its “Diamond Dialogues” series
- Awarded the Wenner-Gren Hunt Fellowship to complete her book "White Gold," under contract with University of Nebraska Press
- "American Dreams: Teaching Class in the United States. In D. Chapman (Ed.), Teaching Social Theory: Crossing Borders, Reflecting Back," Peter Lang, 2010
- AAA/SANA Program co-chair, American Anthropological Association, 2010
- The Aesthetic Economy, American Anthropological Association, 2010
- Open for Business: Hand rendered signs in Savannah, Society for Visual Anthropology Research Conference, 2010
- The Role of Ethnography in Art and Design (co-written with J. Smith), SECAC Annual Conference, 2010
- Aesthetic Value of Ikat Textiles, American Anthropological Association, 2009
- Aesthetic Theory and National Identity in Transnational Goods, Design History Conference, 2009
- Hand-Painted Signs: Race, Class and African-American Vernacular, LIVE-ART SCAD Annual Art History Public Lecture Series
- Good Hands: Silk Weaving and Transnational Artisan Partnerships in Cambodia, Society for Economic Anthropology, 2009
- The Meaning of Signs: Outsider Art vs. Gentrification, American Anthropological Association, 2008
- Whiteness: Race & Class at the Derby, Popular Culture Association/American Culture Association, 2008
- "Diamond Signs: Generic Stones and Particular Gems," Social Semiotics, 449-465, 2008