- B.F.A., drawing/painting, Georgia State University, Atlanta, Georgia, 1983
- M.F.A., drawing/painting, Maryland Institute College of Art, 1997
"Working with young talented individuals in a creative environment."Scott Thorp | Foundation studies professor
Awards, recognition and honors
New American Paintings, "Scott Thorp," April 2003, Mid-Atlantic edition, photo and bio; "Corcoran Views," Corcoran quarterly newsletter, WPA/C Auction, Winter 2003, photo; Radar, "Scott Thorp," Patrick Burns, December 2002, interview and photo; Arts 901, catalog essay, Annie Gawlak, January 2000; City Paper, "Schools In," Mike Giuliano, review of "School 33 Biennial" Exhibition, essay and photo, September 1999
Foundations in Art: Theory and Education (FATE); Southeastern College Art Conference (SECAC)
Adjunct faculty, Anne Arundel Community College, Arnold Maryland; instructor, Pre-college Program, Maryland Institute College of Art
Publications and presentations
- 2011. FATE National Conference, St. Louis, Missouri. Presentation: "Turning Toys of Technology into Tools of Discovery."
- 2009. Regional SECAC Conference, Mobile, Alabama. Presentation: "Separation and Combination: The Sketchbook as a Thinking Tool."
- 2009. MUSE Conference (Design Assessment), Savannah, Georgia. Presentation: "Threats to Validity: Restructuring the Review Process to Minimize Threats to Validity," Scott Thorp and David Dirlam.
- Published "The Afterbirth of the Clinic: A Foucauldian Perspective on 'House M.D.' and American Medicine in the 21st Century," Perspectives in Biology and Medicine, Spring 2008 edition, Leigh E. Rich, Jack Simmons, David Adams, Scott Thorp and Michael Mink.