Pei-Jung (P.J.) Chen
M.F.A., metals and jewelry, Savannah College of Art and Design
"My personal motivation for working with students involves two aspects: I enjoy seeing them improve technically and aesthetically with the skills and creative problem-solving techniques I use; and I enjoy seeing them network intellectually and begin exchanging ideas about the discipline of jewelry design. This combination of mastery of the disciplines is what inspires me to give to the next generation.
"I believe in a balanced approach. An outstanding artist and designer should have both great concepts and techniques. Professional work cannot be perfectly presented without a practical technique, which is also a tool for an artist and designer to transfer the intangible concept into a visual object.
"My experience as an instructor for whom English is a second language gives me empathy for students from varied levels of talents and backgrounds with different understandings. Some of them may face obstacles in absorbing different techniques or personalizing practice and theory in a meaningful way. I help my students overcome these obstacles with patience in order to stimulate their desire for making art. Moreover, they can apply all ideation, technique and practice freely and use a variety of all of these tools to visualize their concepts in their future careers."
Society of North America Goldsmiths, Crafthaus, American Craft Council
Professor of metals and jewelry, Savannah College of Art and Design, 2005-present; adjunct faculty, Savannah College of Art and Design, 2004-05; owner, PJ Chen Studio, 2003-present; goldsmith and jewelry designer, Levy Jewelry, 2002-05
Publications and presentations
Lecture: "Contemporary Metal Working," Gallery S.P.A.C.E., Savannah, Georgia, 2008
- "Year of the Rabbit" group exhibition, Moot Gallery, SCAD Gallery, Hong Kong, China, 2011
- "The Story of Silver in Savannah: Creating and Collecting Since the 18th Century," Telfair Museums, Savannah, Georgia, 2010
- "Ever Present and In Motion" group exhibition, ACA Gallery of SCAD, Atlanta, Georgia, and Pei Ling Chan Gallery, Savannah, Georgia, 2009
- "Design Thinking," group exhibition, Red Gallery, Savannah, Georgia, 2009
- "Five Start," group exhibition, Hall Street Gallery, Savannah, Georgia, 2007
- "Art Jewelry," solo exhibition, Chroma Gallery, Savannah, Georgia, 2004
- SJTA Atlanta Jewelry Show, group exhibition, Atlanta, Georgia, 2004
- "Precious Metals," group exhibition, Pinnacle Gallery, Savannah, Georgia, 2003