- B.A., English, State University of New York at Albany, 1970
- M.A., cinema, University of Southern California, 1985
"Mentoring my students at SCAD."
Awards, recognitions and honors
Humanitas Award nomination, Best Children's Teleplay, "Maniac Magee"; Christopher Award, Best Motion Picture, "Mr. Holland's Opus"; twice-nominated producer for Grand Jury Prize Sundance Film Festival, for "84 Charlie Mopic" and "The Pornographer"; producer runner-up, Best Narrative Feature SXSW Film Festival; director, "Wildly Available," Discovery Award Hollywood Film Festival; Major Film Critics 10 Best Films of the Year lists ("Heart Like A Wheel," "84 Charlie Mopic"); films have been invited to major film festivals around the world, including New York, Tokyo, Chicago, Sundance, Deauville (France), Toronto and Honolulu; (past resource) Sundance Institute
Writers Guild of America; past CFO Independent Feature Project/West, helped found the Independent Spirit Awards; past National Advisory board member, Sundance Film Festival
Publications and Presentations
- "The Auteur Theory - Rest in Peace," Screenwriter Magazine, 1995.
- "Ken Russell and Other Madness" - USC Masters Thesis, 1985.
- "King Vidor's The Big Parade," Pan Magazine, 1971. Miscellaneous articles, Star Magazine, 1972.