- B.A., radio/television/film, Temple University, 1994
- M.A., film studies, University of Miami, 1998
- Ph.D., interdisciplinary studies, University of Miami, 2002
"Teaching is the most stimulating, rewarding activity possible. The ways that students engage with ideas and take established concepts and then do something new with them provides a continuous source of energy and inspiration. Teaching engaged students requires a constant questioning and rethinking of one's assumptions and opens up new ways of looking at and encountering our shared world."Michael Betancourt | Motion media design professor
Awards, recognition and honors
Grants: National Endowment for the Arts / Iowa Arts Council Artist Project Mini-Grants, 2005; Drake University Center for the Humanities Grant, 2005; Florida Division of Cultural Affairs Artist Access Grant, 2003 Permanent collections: Museum of Modern Art, New York, New York; Anchorage Museum of History and Art, Anchorage, Alaska; Experimental Television Center, Oswego, New York; International Museum of Contemporary Art, Florianópolis, Brazil; Museum of Contemporary Art-North Miami, Florida
iotaCenter, Los Angeles, California
Working artist and new media theorist with international exhibitions and screenings; curator and art director
Publications and presentations
- "100 Artists' Manifestos: From the Futurists to the Stuckists," edited by Alex Danchev. London: Penguin Modern Classics (2011): 496 pp.
- "Stickers: From Punk Rock to Contemporary Art," edited by DB Burkeman and Monica LoCascio, New York: Rizzoli (September 2010): 308 pp.
- "Immaterial Value and Scarcity in Digital Capitalism," CTheory, June 10, 2010.
- "Structuring Time: Notes on Making Movies," second edition, (textbook for experimental media art), Wildside Press, 208 pp., 2009.
- "Intellectual Process, Visceral Result: Human Agency and the Production of Artworks via Automated Technology," Journal of Visual Arts Practice, Vol. 7, No. 1, June 2008: 11-18.
- "Precision Optics / Optical Illusions: Inconsistency, Anemic Cinema, and the Rotoreliefs," (reprinted), Euroart Magazine, Issue 5, Winter 2007.
- "Wallpaper and / as Art," Vague Terrain 09: Rise of the VJ, 2008.
- "The Valorized Artist: Incorporation into the 'Perpetual Art Machine' [PAM]" Bright Lights Film Journal, Issue 57, August 2007.
- "Synchronous Form in Visual Music," Off Screen, Vol. 11, Nos. 8-9, August / September 2007.