- B.A., English literature, Middlebury College, 1997
- M.F.A., creative writing, The University of Memphis, 2009
"All my favorite writers, all my best teachers, and all the students before me."Lee Griffith | Writing professor
Awards, recognition and honors
"Notable Essay of 2011," The Best American Essays 2012; The Graduate Research Award, English Department, The University of Memphis, 2009; Graduate Assistantship Award, The University of Memphis, 2008; Departmental Concentration Award, Creative Nonfiction, The University of Memphis, 2008; Donovan Travel Enrichment Grant, The University of Memphis, 2008
National Books Critics Circle, 2010-Present; The Association of Writers & Writing Programs, 2009-Present
Visiting writer, Harlaxton Summer Writing Program, Harlaxton College, England, 2011; adjunct assistant professor of writing studies and composition, School for University Studies, Hofstra University, 2009; graduate teaching assistant, English department, The University of Memphis, 2007-2008; teacher, fiction and creative nonfiction writing workshops, The Lausanne Young Writers Symposium, 2007-2008; judge, Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award, 2009-present; book reviewer, Publishers Weekly, 2008-present
Publications and presentations
Fiction and creative nonfiction
- "A Stonemason's Lot," Drafthorse, Summer 2012.
- "Christmas Eve, 1875," Nano Fiction, Volume 6.1, Fall 2012.
- "Dog People," The South Carolina Review, Volume 44.2, Fall 2011.
- "The Auctioneers," Cream City Review, Volume 35.2, Fall 2011.
- "Breakfast." Fast Forward, Volume 3, Summer 2010.
- "You Could." Fast Forward, Volume 3, Summer 2010.
- "Children." Opium Magazine Online, Spring 2010.
More than 50 interviews and reviews, including:
- "Book Review: You & Me by Padgett Powell," Oxford American online, 3 July, 2012.
- "An Improbable Business: Q & A with Padgett Powell." Publishers Weekly. 20 April, 2012.
- "Still Kicking: PW Talks with Steve Earle." Publishers Weekly. 21 March, 2011.
- "PW Talks with Barb Johnson." Publishers Weekly. 28 Sept. 2009.
- We Are Taking Only What We Need, by Stephanie Powell Watts, Publishers Weekly, 26 Sept., 2011.
- The Great Leader, by Jim Harrison, Publishers Weekly, 8 Aug., 2011.
- Salvage the Bones, by Jesmyn Ward, Publishers Weekly, 23 May, 2011.
- The Family Fang, by Kevin Wilson, Publishers Weekly, 4 April, 2011.
- Volt: Stories, by Alan Heathcock, Publishers Weekly, 03 Jan. 2011.
- The Illumination, by Kevin Brockmeier, Publishers Weekly, 25 Oct. 2010.
- Nashville Chrome, by Rick Bass. Publishers Weekly, 26 July 2010.
- The Imperfectionists: a Novel, by Tom Rachman, Publishers Weekly, 30 Nov. 2009.
- South of Broad, by Pat Conroy. Publishers Weekly, 1 June 2009.
- The Theory of Light and Matter, by Andrew Porter. Publishers Weekly, 11 Aug. 2008.
- The Pushcart Prize XXXIII: Best of the Small Presses, ed. Bill Henderson. Publishers Weekly, 3 Nov. 2008.
- Young Che: Memories of Che Guevara by His Father, by Ernesto Guevara Lynch. Publishers Weekly, 3 Nov. 2008.
- I Was a Potato Oligarch: Travels and Travails in the New Russia, by John Mole. Publishers Weekly, 13 Oct. 2008.
- The Yazoo Blues, by John Pritchard. Publishers Weekly, 18 Aug. 2008.
- Gorgeous George: the Outrageous Bad-boy Wrestler Who Created American Pop Culture, by John Capouya. Publishers Weekly, 7 Jul. 2008.