"Student curiosity, my own research."Kebedech Tekleab | Foundation studies professor
Awards, recognition and honors
Faculty Authors award, Howard University, Washington, D.C.; Honored in Hall of Heroes, 100 people who made a difference, from helping American slaves in the 1800s to fighting Asian slavery in the present, Underground Railroad Freedom Center, 50 East Freedom Way; Cincinnati, Ohio; Outstanding Excellence Award, Government of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia, for the creation of an outdoor aluminum sculpture, Nexus", Embassy of Ethiopia, Washington, D.C.; Outstanding Achievement Award, first place, Multi cultural art exhibition, Washington, D.C.; Presidential Portrait, First Prize, United states Navy Memorial Archives, Washington, D.C.; nominated for National Dean's List sixteenth Annual Edition; Excellence in Scholarship and commendable professional Achievement in poetry, Ethiopian Research Council, Washington, D.C.; four years of Special talent scholarship, Howard University, Washington, D.C.
College Art Association (CAA), African Studies Association (ASA), African Literature Association (ALA)
Graduate and undergraduate painting/drawing, Howard University, Washington, D.C.; Montgomery College, Takoma Park Campus, Takoma, Maryland; Northern Virginia Community College, Alexandria, Virginia; University of the District of Columbia, Washington, D.C.
Publications and presentations
- The New African Diaspora, by Isidore Okpewho & Nkiru Nzegwu Chapter 15 Immigration And African Diaspora Women Artist, Indiana University Press, 2009
- Of note online Magazine "Kebedech Tekleab: Creating an Ethiopian Narrative in America, Interview by Ethelbert Miller
- Sudplanet Portail De La Diversite Culturelle "Words and Images of Kebedech Tekleab" Interview by Beti Ellerson.
- Baltimore Afro-American, April 2, 2005-April 8, 2005, "Ethiopian POW portrays human condition with art" By Zenitha Prince.
- A Proud Continuum, eight decades of art at Howard University, Howard University Gallery
- Washington Post, Style section, September 24, 2003, "The Art of Endurance" by Natalie Hopkinson.
- "Ethiopian Passages: Contemporary art from the Diaspora", by Elizabeth Harney, Smithsonian National Museum of African Art, Philip Wilson Publishers
- Washington Post, Sunday May 11,2003, Arts, "Homing In On Their Culture" by Jo Ann Lewis.
- Intowner, August 2003, "Howard University's Influence on Display for All to Admire. By David Barrows and Anthony L. Harvey.
- 6th International Conference on the history of Ethiopian Art "Current Discourse in Contemporary African Art and the place of Diaspora in Ethiopian Art"
- "Ethiopian review", Atlanta, Georgia, March
- Anthology of Poetry "Egna" 110 Poems in Amharic, Addis, Ethiopia
- Conference paper "Infinite Rift Infinite Seal: Art & Social Unrest" 10th International conference of the European Sociological Association, Geneva Switzerland (Scheduled September, 2011)
- Conference paper "Exploring the Edge of Trauma" Kingston University, London England
- Conference Paper "The Differing Dynamics between Tragedy and Sublime. University of Technology, Durban South Africa
- Panelist, at The Museum of African Art, Smithsonian institution, Washington, DC, a discussion on "Body of Evidence" exhibits from the museum's contemporary collection.
- Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio. Presentation on my work.
- Goucher College, MD. Slide presentation about my work
- Presentation to secondary art teachers in Fairfax Virginia, West Potomac High School
- Radford University, Radford, Virginia. Slide lecture
- Howard University, Washington, DC. Paper Presentation at the 14th Annual James A. Porter Colloquium on African American Art
- African Literature Association 28th Annual Conference, San Diego California, (Poetry reading)
- Paper presentation, Montgomery College, MD
- Paper presentation, Cornell University, Ithaca New York
- Guest lecture (two sessions) George Mason University for the course "African History and Culture through art and music" "Survey of the History and Social value of art"
- Guest lectured, George Mason University, Sample reading and discussion from my poetry
- Slide lecture on my work, Montgomery College, Faculty show
- Paper presentation on my work, 39th annual conference African studies Association, San Francisco, California
- Slide lecture on my art, University of Arizona in Tucson and studio critic for graduate and undergraduate students
- Paper presentation "The Long Walk To Light: Art in Operation", 83rd Annual Conference of the College Art Association (CAA), San Antonio, Texas
- Lecture on my art for "Blacks In The Arts" class, Howard University, Washington, D.C.
- Lecture about my work, North Dakota State University's First Annual African-American Awareness Week. Fargo, North Dakota