- B.M., College-Conservatory of Music, University of Cincinnati, 1981
- M.A., art history, University of Cincinnati, 1996
- M.A., architectural history, University of Virginia, 1997
- Ph.D., art history, University of Delaware, 2007
Awards, recognitions and honors
Presidential Fellowship for Faculty Development, Savannah College of Art and Design, 2002; American Friends Scholar, American Friends of the Attingham Summer School, 1999; University of Delaware International Travel Award to present a paper at the University of Oxford, 1999; Graduate Fellowship, University of Delaware, 1998; University of Delaware Department of Art History award to present a paper at the Institute of Historical Research, London, 1998; Institute for Public History of the University of Virginia, internship awarded for summer 1997; Dupont Graduate Fellowship, University of Virginia, 1996-97; Dupont Graduate Fellowship, University of Virginia, 1995-96; Winterthur Museum Winter Institute Fellowship, 1995; Victorian Society in America Fellowship for attending the London and Newport, RI Summer Schools, 1994; Graduate Fellowship, University of Cincinnati, 1993; Graduate Fellowship, University of Cincinnati, 1992; Museum of Early Southern Decorative Arts Summer Institute Fellowship, 1991
Society of Architectural Historians, Society of Architectural Historians of Great Britain, College Art Association
Publications and Presentations
- "Public Sculpture," "Horatio Greenough," "Revivalism," and "Papier Mâché" for the Encyclopedia of Sculpture published by Taylor & Francis/ Routledge, 2004.
- "Luxury and Commerce: The Architectural Development of Bath and Bristol in the Long Eighteenth Century." Lecture delivered to the English-Speaking Union, Savannah, Georgia, October 18, 2009.
- "Town and Country: Seeing Oneself in the Landscapes of Georgian England." Lecture delivered at the Savannah College of Art and Design Museum of Art, Savannah, Georgia, January 18, 2009.
- "The Artist at the Georgian Court." Lecture and gallery talk delivered at the Earle W. Newton Center for British-American Studies, Savannah, Georgia, May 14, 2006.
Conference and symposia presentations:
- "City of Barriers: Forms of Separation and Exclusion in 18th Century London." Paper to be presented at the London Studies Conference, University of London, London, England, July 12-14, 2011.
- "'So That to Us No Thing, No Place is Strange:' Making London Familiar in the Long Eighteenth Century." Lecture delivered as part of the Department of Architectural History's Lecture Series, Savannah College of Art and Design, Savannah, Georgia, January 22, 2004.
- "Federal Furniture at the Taft Museum." Lecture delivered at the Taft Museum, Cincinnati, Ohio, February 19, 1995.
- "The Elite Rural Presence in the Eighteenth-Century English City." Paper presented at the Southeast Chapter of the Society of Architectural Historians annual conference, Savannah College of Art and Design, Savannah, Georgia, October 2, 2003.
- "Lamp of Truth or Magic Lantern? The Role of Perception and Empiricism in Determining Architectural Truth." Paper presented at the the 2nd Savannah Symposium, "Authenticity in Architecture," Department of Architectural History, Savannah College of Art and Design, Savannah, Georgia, February 16, 2001.
- "Space in the Painting and Architecture of Le Corbusier." Paper presented at the Cleveland Symposium, Cleveland Museum of Art, April 24, 1999.
- "Fulfilling Rural Desires: The Eighteenth-Century English Urban Landscape as Surrogate Country House," Paper presented at the Conference of the British Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies, St. John's College, Oxford University, January 5, 1999.
- "And Then There Were Two: Uncovering a Faked Federal Sideboard in the Taft Museum." Paper presented at the seminar "Deceit, Deception, and Discovery: Fakes in the Museum and Marketplace," Winterthur Museum, Wilmington, Delaware, December 5, 1998.
- "Paradox and Compromise in the Cooperative Housing Schemes of M. H. Baillie Scott and Raymond Unwin." Paper presented at the Ohio State University History of Art Symposium "Art and Community," Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, November 14, 1998.
- "Unity through Style as Process: Harmony in Late Victorian and Edwardian Interiors." Paper presented at the Carolina's Symposium on British Studies, Birmingham, Alabama, November 13, 1998.
- "From Vision to Process: Medievalism in Eighteenth- and Nineteenth-Century English Architecture and the Decline of the Visual" Paper presented at the Thirteenth International Conference on Medievalism, Rochester, New York, October 8, 1998.
- "The Post-WWI English Small House: The Emergence of an Architecture of Duty and Vigilance." Paper presented at the "National Identities" Conference of the Institute of Contemporary British History, Institute of Historical Research, University of London, April 20, 1998.
- "The Architecture of Identity: Ruskin, Gandhi, Le Corbusier, and the Maison Sarabai" Paper presented at the Philadelphia Symposium, Philadelphia Museum of Art, March 21, 1998.