- B.F.A., illustration, Rhode Island School of Design, 1990
- M.F.A., painting, New York Academy of Art, 1992
"As a student of the great American painter Jack Beal, my career as an artist/educator found its inspiration. His irrepressible Baroque dynamism revealed the greatness of a life in art and forever abolished the petty taboos and egotism that is wont to infect academia and the art world.
"During the high tide of abstract expressionism Jack Beal inspired the rebirth of pictorial space and great narrative painting. He lifted his students into a place of poetry and wonder where expressions of creativity were always expressions of a deep, humane love for the world and all of its creatures. A master painter and the very soul of generosity; he demonstrated on a daily basis that no artistic ambition however grand could cramp the capacity to give all one had to ones students."
Awards, recognition and honors
SCAD Presidential Fellowship: "Drawing the Via Dolorosa" for exhibition and publication in cooperation with the Pontifical Council for Culture, Vatican City, Italy; Madrid Spain World Youth Day, "Faces of Christ", Madrid, 16-21 August; Château de Fontaine Henry, Normandy, France May 2011; Weymouth Center for the Arts & Humanities, Southern Pines, North Carolina May 7-21, Solo Langley Art with Designer Alice Henrick; "Splendors of the Vatican" at the Senator John Heinz Cultural Center, Pittsburgh, PA "Preparatory Cartoon for Signum Magnum"; School of Foundation Studies Spring Quarter Faculty Exhibit, Wallin Hall, SCAD Savannah, Spring March 2011; School of Foundation Studies Winter Quarter Faculty Drawing Exhibit; Studioplex Gallery, Atlanta Georgia and Anderson Hall, Savannah College of Art and Design, Savannah GA. January / March; National Juried Group Invitational, St Vincent College, Latrobe, Pennsylvania, Juror: Sr Wendy Beckett; Selected Work on Paper, John Paul II Cultural Center, Washington D.C.; Solo Exhibit, Distinguished Artist Series, Hillsdale College, Hillsdale Michigan
International Order of Alhambra, Fellowship for Classical Studies at SCAD
Professor, School of Foundation Studies, SCAD; visiting juror for masters thesis projects, University of Notre Dame School of Architecture, Indiana; guest lecturer, Hillsdale College Distinguished Artist Series; Savannah Area Artist Painting the Figure Workshop, Rise Studio; adjunct professor, Franciscan University Steubenville; Institute for Classical Art, Figure Drawing Studio; Pontifical North American College, Rome, Italy, visiting lecturer; visiting lecturer, Brown University Providence, Rhode Island; adjunct thesis advisor Antioch University Ohio; visiting lecturer, Ave Maria College, Ann Arbor, Michigan; visiting lecturer, University of Notre Dame, Indiana; guest lecturer, Thomas Aquinas College, Santa Paula, California; numerous commissioned art and design projects
Publications and presentations
- Memory and Desire; The Figurative Art of James Langley Monograph with selected Drawings and Painting and Interview
- Faces of Christ Book including Cover Plate and Frontispiece sponsored by the Pontifical Council for Culture, Vatican City, Italy "Contemporary Sacred Art".
- The Magazine Antiques, February 2007 "New at the Metropolitan Museum of Art"
- American Artist, Drawing, Winter2007 "Drawing on Savannah's Aesthetic Allure"
- Le Pretre Catholique; Image du Christ, Steen Heidemann, Book Published in France by Editions DuPont
- The Magazine, Savannah College of Art and Design Fall 2006 Volume 10, Number 1 "Bringing Beauty into the World"
- The Southern Cross January 2011 January edition featuring "Signum Magnum"
- La Voz Latina December 2010 "Monumental painting of la Guadalupana by Savannah Artist".
- Thomas Aquinas College Newsletter Spring 2006, Interview
- Catholic World Report; November 2005 "The Redemption of Catholic Art" Interview by Ben Wiker
- Lay Witness Magazine, 5/June 2004 Cover Painting
- Riconquistare Lo Spazio Sacro 2000, Journal in English and Italian. Published Project: S. Caterina da Genova Apse Wall Retablo with Paintings New York, New York
- "Drawing and the Concept of The Beautiful" Guest lecture Veritas Academy, Savannah, Georgia
- "Beauty and the Beast" The Saint Anselm Society at the Juliette Gordon Low Cottage, Savannah, Georgia, Guest Lecturer, October 2008
- Solo Exhibit and Artist Talk: The Landings Art Association, Skidaway Island, Georgia, November 2008