- M.A., fine arts and geography, St. Andrews University, Fife, Scotland, 1980
- M.F.A., painting, Savannah College of Art and Design, 2003
"Mentor students of differing ability at the outset of their college experience. Teach the art of response and gesture drawing. Promote daily use of the sketchbook-journal. Help students develop the ability to be independent, critical thinkers-and team players in collaborative interdisciplinary situations. To coach approaches in drawing that facilitate research and development processes, central to design methodologies in all the visual art professions. To design, prepare and teach drawing courses so that students experience and enjoy the challenge of active thinking, academic rigor and standards of excellence-where learning in and away from the studio classroom happens 'outside the box,' on a daily basis. To encourage students to embrace the history of art, drawing inspiration and ideas from 'old' and contemporary masters and mistresses."Henry Dean | Foundation studies professor
Awards, recognition and honors
1999, Co-recipient, with Bret Harte Elementary School, Cherry Hill, New Jersey, 1999, New Jersey Newarts In Education Award
April 1999, Teaching residency at Absegami High School, Pleasantville, New Jersey; February 1999, Teaching residency at Bret Harte Elementary School, Cherry Hill, New Jersey
Publications and presentations
- "The Art of the Working Sketch." Paper presented in the panel discussion "The Designer as Artist," at ONSTREAM 2011, F.A.T.E biennial conference, St Louis, MO, April 2011.
- "Outcomes of the Curriculum Ideation Forum: An extended School of Foundation Studies' faculty peer collaboration, brainstorming ongoing changes in curriculum of SCAD's core foundation drawing and design courses." Paper presented at F.A.T.E regional conference (Southeast): ENVISIONING A NEW FOUNDATION, IDENTITY & PURPOSE, May 2010, Savannah, GA.
- AMERICAN ARTIST: Drawing magazine, Winter 2009 edition.
- Feature article, "Concepts Grounded in Concrete Sketches;" managing editor Bob Bahr's article explores Dean's sketch art practice and its relationship to his ephemeral outdoor installations.
- "The Landscape through the Painter's Eye." Paper presented at the CAPTURING NATURE'S PATTERNS IN LANDSCAPE DESIGN symposium, produced by University of Pennsylvania's Landscape Architecture Department, at Villanova University and Connecticut College.
- "Sieve," Connect Savannah news article by Bertha Husband, November, 2003
- Project initiator and lead curatorial statement for exhibition catalog of: "THROUGH THE HEART OF THE CITY: An exhibition with the Schuykill River as the source of inspiration," at The Philadelphia Art Alliance, Philadelphia, PA, May 1998.