- B.F.A., painting, Kent State University, 1997
- M.F.A., painting, Tyler School of Art, 2000
"I am inspired by my former professors, whose generosity and commitment was unwavering. Introducing students to images, techniques and concepts and viewing their interpretations of them is engaging and enlightening. The search for creative solutions is an exciting and surprising endeavor and one that I am proud to share with my students."Heather Deyling | Foundation studies professor
Awards, recognition and honors
Artist grant, one-month residency, Vermont Studio Center; SCAD Presidential Fellowship
College Art Association, Foundations in Art: Theory and Education (FATE), Southeastern College Art Conference (SECAC)
Adjunct professor, Tyler School of Art, Elkins Park, Pennsylvania; graduate teaching assistant (instructor of record); Kent State University, Kent, Ohio; freelance Web designer/multimedia developer
Publications and presentations
- FATE Biennial Conference, St. Louis, Missouri, 2011
- Session chair: "Teaching Foundations vs. Studio Practice"
- Paper: "Teaching Foundations vs. Studio Practice: Is There an Overlap?"
- Artist lecture, Dr. Mary Evelyn Stringer Auditorium, Mississippi University for Women, Columbus, Mississippi, 2011
- SECAC/MACAA Annual Conference, Richmond, Virginia, paper: "Collaborative Nonobjective Drawing: A Classroom Experiment," 2010
- SECAC Annual Conference, Mobile, Alabama, 2009
- Session chair: "Bridging the Gap: The Use of Digital Technologies in Painting"; Paper: "Organizing, Formatting and Presenting Digital Images"