Douglas Dabbs, Jr.
- B.F.A., sequential art, Savannah College of Art and Design, 2007
- M.F.A., sequential art, Savannah College of Art and Design, 2010
"I have always had a passion for teaching individuals. Whether it was coaching soccer or assisting with a class assignment, I loved the feeling of helping people understand the principles that will help them succeed. In a high school film class, my teacher once told me that the difference between an educated person and an uneducated person is not knowing the answer, but why it is the answer. Before I attended SCAD as student, I had never had anyone teach me the 'why' in art theory, techniques and principles. Seeing how so many of the SCAD professors implemented this approach affected me as well so many other students. While it contributed to all of us being successful in our fields, it redirected the passion I had for teaching to the subject matter I love most - art. Now as a professor, in every class I teach the 'why' to students, so not only will they be successful in their fields, but also have the ability to educate others."Douglas Dabbs, Jr. | Foundation studies, Sequential art professor
Awards, recognition and honors
Full-Tuition Artistic Merit Fellowship, Savannah College of Art and Design, Atlanta, Georgia
The Temple of Cartoon Mojo, SCAD-Atlanta Student Services Council
Summer Seminar instructor, Savannah College of Art and Design, Atlanta, Georgia; teaching assistant, Savannah College of Art and Design, Atlanta, Georgia; community education instructor, Savannah College of Art and Design, Atlanta, Georgia; tutor, Atlanta, Georgia; mentor, Savannah College of Art and Design, Atlanta, Georgia; drawing instructor, Atlanta, Georgia
Publications and presentations
- 2011. Oni Press "Holliday"
- 2009. White Wolf Publishing "Armory Reloaded"
- 2008. Oni Press "Resurrection Annual #1
- 2008. Desperado Publishing "Ally"
- 2008. Sequential Art Anthology "Switch"
- 2007. White Wolf Publishing "Monte Cook's World of Darkness"
- 2007. White Wolf Publishing "World of Darkness, Urban Legends"
- 2007. Not Quite Super "The Legend's Granddaughter"
- 2006. SCAD-Atlanta "Pwned Card Game"
- "Mail Me Art: Medium without a Message Exhibition" at Read Gate Gallery in London, England.
- "In the Fold" at the Artist Book Room of the ACA Library in SCAD Atlanta.