- B.M.E., voice, Armstrong State College, 1991
- M.M., vocal performance, Georgia Southern University, 2001
- D.M.A., vocal performance, Conservatory of Shenandoah University, 2005
"My most significant accomplishments come in the success of my students. My most significant personal accomplishment is having my dissertation housed in the Holocaust Museum in Washington, D.C., as well as the Prague Holocaust Museum."
Awards, recognitions and honors
Doctoral Fellowship, Conservatory of Shenandoah University; Carol A. Carter Scholarship, Georgia Southern University; Directors Award, Armstrong State College; Theodore Presser Scholarship, Armstrong State College
National Association of Teachers of Singing
Publications and Presentations
- Ricks, D. Samuel Barber: American classical composer. In A.W. Cramer (Ed.), "Musicians and composers of the 20th century." Pasadena, California: Salem Press (2009): 67-68
- Ricks, D. Ennio Morricone: Italian classical and film-score composer. In A.W. Cramer (Ed.), "Musicians and composers of the 20th century." Pasadena, California: Salem Press (2009): 989-990
- Vocal master class, March 31, 2008 for students at Savannah State University
- "Research in Music Education; Keys to Successful Research"; searching electronic databases, using interlibrary loan, and mastering APA citation. January 2006
- Women and Creativity Conference. West Virginia University, Presentation: "Hildegard von Bingen: The Origins of Feminine Creativity," 2004
- "Semester of Schumann: 'Frauenliebe und Leben'"; "Mercer Magic: Celebrating 100 Years of Johnny Mercer"; "A Night of Opera: arias, duets and ensembles"; Concert of all English songs; concert of the "26 Italian" songbook.