- B.A., Colorado State University
- M.A., University of Colorado
- Ph.D., University of New Mexico
- Eastern States Rock Art Research Association
- Archaeological Society of New Mexico
- Society of Georgia Archaeology
- American Rock Art Research Association
- International Federation of Rock Art Organizations-ESRARA Representative
Denise Smith has taught art history for SCAD in Savannah, Atlanta, Lacoste and eLearning. She also is an active scholar who presents papers at regional and international conferences about Native American art, and has published papers and book reviews in many of the professional journals in her field. In addition, Smith curated the Continuing Traditions exhibition at Savannah's Telfair Museum of Art in 2004, featuring the private collection of Stanley Hanson, M.D., and Mary Frances Hanson.
Publications and presentations
- Review of Carol Diaz-Granados and James Duncan, eds., "Rock Art of Eastern North America: Capturing Images and Insight" (Tuscaloosa: University of Alabama Press, 2004) in Rock Art Research, ed. Robert Bednarik, vol. 22(2), November 2005.
- "Continuing Traditions: The Hanson Collection of Native American Art," exhibition catalog. Savannah: Telfair Museum of Art, 2004.
- Review of Bruno David, "Landscapes, Rock-Art and the Dreaming: An Archaeology of Preunderstanding" (London: Leicester University Press, 2002) in Rock Art Research, ed. Robert Bednarik, vol. 20(2), November 2003.
- "History Recorded in Stone: The Rock Art of Abo Pueblo," Archaeological Society of New Mexico, vol. 28, Albuquerque, N.M., 2002.
- "Rock Art and the Shape of Landscape," in "Painters, Patrons and Identity: Essays in Native American Art to Honor J. J. Brody," ed. Joyce M. Szabo, pgs. 211-240. Albuquerque, NM: University of New Mexico Press, 2001.
Presentations and lectures:
- "Defining the Inner Sanctum: The Role of Rock Forms in Shaping Sacred Space," Southeastern College Art Conference, Nashville, Tenn., October 2006. Co-chair of session "Rock Art II: The Prehistoric Image and Art History."
- "Leaving a Mark: Inscribed Landscapes of the American Southeast," International Rock Art Congress, Lisbon, Portugal, September 2006. Chair of "Place Theory in Rock Art Studies" session.
- "Entering the Dark Zone," Southeastern College Art Conference, Little Rock, Ark., Oct. 26-30, 2005.
- "'Style' vs. 'Memetics': Exploring Some New Ideas," International Rock Art Congress, Agra, India, Nov. 28 - Dec. 2, 2004.
- "The Hickory Nut Site," Eastern States Rock Art Research Association Conference, Huntsville, Ala., March 2003.
- "Continuing Traditions: The Hanson Collection of Native American Art," Telfair Museum of Art, Savannah, September 2004 - January 2005.
- "Continuing Traditions II: The Hanson Collection of Native American Art," Pepe Hall, SCAD, October - November 2004.
- "Hindsight is 20/20," Ex Libris Gallery, SCAD, Sept. 16, 1999-Jan. 2, 2000.