Deborah R. Fowler
- B.Sc., double honors, computational science and mathematics, University of Saskatchewan, 1985
- M.Sc., computer science, University of Saskatchewan, 1987
- Ph.D., computer science, University of Regina, 1992
- Postdoctoral studies, computer science, University of Calgary, 1993
"At SCAD we provide personal attention and genuine interest in helping students thrive and succeed both here and after they graduate. Visual effects teaches fundamental concepts, not just software packages — this is absolutely key in an industry that experiences evolving software and rapid changes — and helps to develop adaptability in our students."Deborah R. Fowler | Visual effects professor
Senior member of the lighting and modeling teams at Pixar Animation Studios; modeler creating the foliage and tree models used in "Toy Story," vegetation and pre-production model maker for "A Bug's Life"; modeling plants for the Clio-winning Listerine "Arrows" commercial; senior member of the lighting team and one of four lighting leads for "Toy Story," performing master lighting, shot lighting, training of team members and continued master lighting during "A Bug's Life," as well as master and shot lighting and serving as a sequence lead for "Toy Story 2"
Publications and presentations
- P. Prusinkiewicz and A. Lindenmayer. "The Algorithmic Beauty of Plants." With J. S. Hanan, F. D. Fracchia, D. R. Fowler, M. J. M. de Boer and L. Mercer. Springer-Verlag, New York, 1990.
- Hans Meinhardt. "The Algorithmic Beauty of Sea Shells." With Contributions and Images by P. Prusinkiewicz and D. R. Fowler. Springer-Verlag, New York, 1995.
- D. R. Fowler, H. Meinhardt and P. Prusinkiewicz. Modeling seashells. Proceedings of SIGGRAPH '92 (Chicago, Illinois, July 29-31, 1992).
- D. R. Fowler, P. Prusinkiewicz, and J. Battjes. A Collision-based Model of Spiral Phyllotaxis. Proceedings of SIGGRAPH '92 (Chicago, Illinois, July 29-31, 1992).