- B.F.A., Ohio University
- M.F.A., Marywood University
"I was a freelance illustrator for nearly 15 years with no formal training as an artist. It was difficult making my way in such a competitive industry. Late in my career I completed an M.F.A. in illustration and, after some gentle prodding from my graduate advisers, began teaching. Now it means a lot to me to be able to assist burgeoning illustrators learn the ropes, and to help them avoid the pitfalls I happened into myself. I love contributing to the development of the skills and know-how in my students that I struggled so long to acquire myself."Daniel Powers | Illustration professor
Awards, recognition and honors
Merit Award, 3x3 Illustration Annual No. 7; SCAD Presidential Fellowship for Professional Development; University of Minnesota Ezra Jack Keats/Kerlan Memorial Fellowship, First Award at New Mexico Watercolor Society's Juried Fall Exhibition; Silver Award for Excellence in Visual Communication; "Jiro's Pearl" featured by Sybille Jagusch, Chief of the Library of Congress, C-SPAN, Book TV on "Sea to Shining Sea";"Jiro's Pearl" selected "Pick of the List" by the American Booksellers Association
Authors Guild, College Art Association, Georgia Watercolor Society, Graphic Artists Guild, Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators
Instructor, Art Center of Battle Creek and Hardwood Art Center; Guest lecturer, Lees-McRae College, Parsons School of Design, Sachmo Centro de Arte/Oaxaca, San Juan College, Santa Fe Community College, University of Findlay, University of Minnesota, University of New Mexico, Vermont College
Publications and presentations
- "Breakfast Time"
- "From the Land of the White Birch"
- "Jiro's Pearl"
- "The Money Bag"
- "Drawing Back the Curtain: Illustrating Nonfiction Picture Books," Savannah Children's Book Festival
- "Drawing Back the Curtain: Illustrating Nonfiction Picture Books," Fay B. Kaigler Children's Book Festival
- "Visual Literacy and the Picture Book: An Illustrator's Perspective," Pass It On!, The International Reading Association's Southwest Regional Conference
- 25th Annual New Mexico International Reading Association's State Conference "Picture Book ABCs and the Question of Visual Literacy," Baltimore Museum of Art's Winter Conference on Children's Books