General education professor
- B.A., English language and literature, 1989
- M.A., comparative literature, University of Utrecht and Amsterdam, 1998
- M.A., international affairs, Florida State University, 1999
- Ph.D., critical theory, University of Florida, 2004
- Postdoctoral, technical communication, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2005
Publication of General economy of Travel: Identity, Memory, and Death, forthcoming June 2011
Publications and Presentations
- "Ideology and Utopia in William Godwin's Caleb Williams." Interdisciplinary Literary Studies, Spring 2003, Volume 4, Number 2.
- "The Archival Machine of Language and the Logic of Spectrality: Of Repetitions, Translations, and Ghosts." Interdisciplinary Literary Studies, Fall 2006, Volume 8, Number1.
- Hafizi, Afshin, and Angela Merta. "Modern Iranian Women's Poetry in Translation." In The Dirty Goat, Volume 19: September 2008.
- " Eghtesade Mahdoode Safar Namehaye Mohajeran." ("The Restricted economy of Immigrant Autobiography") Pazhuhesh-e Zabanhaye Khareji (Research Journal of Foreign Languages), University of Tehran, Iran, forthcoming 2012.
- Book project, a collection of translated Iranian Women's Poetry, under consideration by Host Publications, New York.
- Translation project (together with Alireza Shomali, Wheaton College, Department of Political Science) on the political philosophy of Abolkarim Soroush, a contemporary Iranian philosopher and a visiting scholar at Harvard University. Proposal submitted and accepted by I. B. Tauris, London.
- "The Future of Politics and the Politics of Future" in The MRG's (Marxist Reading Group)2nd Interdisciplinary Conference, University of Florida, April 2001
- "Reda Bensmaïa's The Year of Passages and the Deterritorialization of Language" presented at ASCA's (Amsterdam School of Cultural Analysis) annual Conference in June 2003
- "Tradition and Modernity in Iran: The Question of the Archive" invited presentation at The Hoover Institute, Stanford University, October 2004.
- "Abbas Kiarostami's Taste of Cherry and the Phenomenon of Suicide in Contemporary Iranian Society," IFP Conference, The Hoover Institute, Stanford University, October 2005.