Emergency contact numbers
- Police: 911
- Fire: 911
- Medical Emergency 911
- SCAD Security Savanna: 912.525.4500
- SCAD Security Atlanta: 912.525.3333
By learning crime prevention and safety tips, and being aware of their surroundings, students can help protect themselves and their property from being victimized by crime. The information outlined below will aid you in developing a crime prevention strategy.
- If you are at the incident scene secure your personal safety and contact 911. Describe what is occurring with the following information:
- Building name and room number or floor location
- Number of people with you
- Number of people injured
- Description of the offender. Include gender, race, clothing, physical features and name if known. Also let the dispatcher know if weapons are involved and if there has been gunfire or explosions.
Emergency lockdown procedures
- Do not sound the fire alarm!
Proceed to a room that can be locked if possible.
Emergency response personnel
- Lock or barricade all doors in the classroom or office.
- Close windows and window treatments.
- Turn off all lights, radios and computers.
- Seek cover behind walls, desks cabinets and tables.
- Place cell phone in silent mode.
- Remain quiet and low to the floor and do not enter hallways. Remain in the secured room until you have been advised by police to evacuate the building. Note: Do not respond to voice commands until you can verify the instructions are being made by an official law enforcement officer.
- If an intruder enters your classroom or office, attempt to remain calm and call 911 if possible to inform the police of the intruder's location. If you are unable to speak, leave the line open so the 911 dispatcher can hear what is taking place.
- If you have an opportunity to flee, make sure you have an escape route and plan in mind. Carry nothing, move quickly and keep your hands visible. If you encounter law enforcement personnel, follow their instructions.
- Do not attempt to remove injured people. Notify emergency personnel of the injured person's location as soon as possible.
The first law enforcement officers responding to an crime on a SCAD campus will make stopping or capturing the offender their first priority. These officers maybe dressed in police uniforms or in tactical clothing with bulletproof vests and helmets. They may be carrying rifles, pistols, shotguns and tear gas. When you come into contact with an officer or team of officers do the following:
- Do not be afraid of the officers; follow their instructions.
- Try to remain calm.
- Keep your hands visible at all times.
- If you know the location of the offender, tell the police officers.
- Do not leave the police secured area or assembly location until you have been released by the authorities.
- Do not remove automobiles from parking decks or adjacent building parking lots until law enforcement has said that it is safe to do so.