SCAD students win Society of Professional Journalist’s Region 3 Mark of Excellence Awards
/Seventeen SCAD students and alumni earned honors in the Society of Professional Journalists’ 2012 Region 3 Mark of Excellence Awards./
Seventeen SCAD students and alumni earned honors recently in the Society of Professional Journalists’ 2012 Region 3 Mark of Excellence Awards.
The program honors the best student journalism in the southern United States from colleges and universities in Alabama, Florida, Georgia and South Carolina. SCAD students and alumni placed first, second or third in 16 of 39 categories covering photography, Web, broadcast and print journalism.
Each first-place winner will go on to compete nationally against winners from 11 other regions. SPJ will announce the national winners May 2, and will recognize them at the Excellence in Journalism 2013 conference, Aug. 24-26, in Anaheim, California.
SCAD students and alumni placing in Region 3 include:
- Daniel Alvarez (B.F.A., writing, 2012)
- Danielle Austin (B.F.A. writing student)
- Michael Beckom (B.F.A. graphic design student)
- Shannon Craig (B.F.A. writing student)
- Allen Duncan (B.F.A. writing student)
- Caroline Huftalen (M.F.A. writing student)
- Nikki Igbo (M.F.A. writing student)
- Joseph Jacob (B.F.A. photography student)
- Susan Kemp (B.F.A., writing, 2012)
- Nicholas Lawrence (B.F.A. sound design student)
- Victor Makali (B.F.A. visual effects student)
- Brittney Mullins (B.F.A. photography student)
- Pablo Serrano (B.F.A. photography student)
- Kenneth Rosen (B.F.A. writing student)
- Douglas Scarpa (B.F.A., film and television, 2012)
- Jeffrey Vossler (B.F.A. sequential art student)
- Erin White (B.F.A. writing student)
District, the editorially independent news organization for SCAD students in Savannah, won the award for Best Independent Online Student Publication (Medium), and The Connector, the editorially independent student news source for SCAD Atlanta, won for Best Independent Online Student Publication (Small).
Entry in the 2012 Mark of Excellence Awards was open to anyone enrolled in a U.S. college or university studying for an academic degree in 2012 and international SPJ student members. Students with full-time, professional journalism experience, outside of internships, were not eligible. Entries must have been published or broadcast during the 2012 calendar year.
SCAD: The University for Creative Careers
The Savannah College of Art and Design is a private, nonprofit, accredited institution conferring bachelor's and master's degrees at distinctive locations and online to prepare talented students for professional careers. SCAD offers degrees in more than 40 majors.